FORUMS: list search recent posts

Move timeline from project to the next (all within Resolve).

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yoram Tal
Move timeline from project to the next (all within Resolve).
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:36:25 pm

Hi All.
I am probably missing something so simple...

I am finishing a project in 1 location, moving the whole project to a new location (System 2)... finalize it and it's all good.

How do I bring the final timeline from Location 2 into location 1 system again? (Just the final timeline no need for the entire project) AAF/XML/CDL ? I want all the info... Tracking windows nodes...

There must be a simple way to do this...

Thanks in advance.
Tal

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Move timeline from project to the next (all within Resolve).
on Jan 11, 2013 at 1:57:23 am

Export project, import project and manually move all the images.

Return to posts index

Yoram Tal
on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:04:55 am

But that will not bring back all the information included in the timeline... Mostly tracking, key-frames and another bit of info that would be in a timeline but not in the picture in the gallery.

I would think bringing this functionality into resolve is very important.

I am not as experienced as most on this list so I was really hopping I am missing something.

Thanks.
Tal

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:48:37 am

The timeline isn't the right metaphor for resolve, timeline is just what editorial gives you, and the work is tied to your grade which are independent of the timeline. This is why the same media exists in your master timeline and whatever edits you brought over. If you want to move your grades from one machine to another, what you want to move is the project. The timeline doesn't have any of your grade info.

Hope that helps.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Yoram Tal
on Jan 11, 2013 at 4:01:24 am

Thank, you I am starting to understand.

Where will tracking information for power windows and keyframes of color changes within a shot live?

Tal

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Jan 11, 2013 at 4:35:28 pm

Hi Tal,

All your information within the timeline should stay intact.
Make sure that you are on the correct Remote or Local grade per shot in your timeline.

You can test it by 'saving as' and exporting/reimporting and checking that nothing is missing.

Ronen

Return to posts index

Yoram Tal
on Jan 11, 2013 at 6:49:00 pm

Thanks Ronen. (How are things)

There is no way to "save as" a timeline ,just a project... This means there is no way (as far as i can understand it) to move a timeline from one project to the next.

The reason I want to bring in a timeline and not just corrections is I want my time sensitive data (tracking info and key frames) brought into an existing project.

Tal

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Jan 11, 2013 at 7:53:05 pm

You are correct, you can only save projects, and can't share the time line. - That will be a great feature request!

You might check to see if you have all your grades as local if AFF round-trip remembers the tracking info.

You might be able to do what you want with Shared Databases and remote grading ? (which I think you are doing something like that).
That way you can work in two locations and update the same project and timelines.

Ronen

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jan 12, 2013 at 5:36:56 am

Again, the tracking info, isn't in your timeline, it part of the grade info. The project is a big database, it tracks all your shots, and their grades, each grade has a version, you can have multiple versions to a clip. The timeline just shows you a set of version from the shots with in and outs associated with the media, but the tracking and grading information is stored/associated with the source media, not in the timeline. Ergo, if you want the tracking/grading data, you need to move the project, not the timeline.

Return to posts index

Yoram Tal
on Jan 13, 2013 at 2:18:42 am

Thank you for the info.

In that case how would you go about updating an entire timeline? I do a first pass on a show, then I come back and do a 2nd pass.
I would like to maintain the first pass untouched.

Would I need to create a new local version for every shot? (Very time consuming)

I know I am thinking like an Avid editor here and I know I am on a new system, I am really trying to get the right workflow by asking the pros.

Thanks in advance.
Tal

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jan 13, 2013 at 8:21:25 am

Yep. New version for each shot. That exactly how you would do it. I suppose you could do a save as for the project every time. But versions is what I do. It's a quick key press on the panels. Must be a keyboard shortcut as well.

Return to posts index

Rafi Behroozian
on Jan 13, 2013 at 8:38:30 am

Hi Juan Salvo,
i wanna build a new system for work on resolve.
I have some question i apprecriate your help
is X9QRI-F+ Supermicro motherboard works with 580EVGA? and is it good for work on this field?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jan 13, 2013 at 4:53:01 pm

I'm not an expert on that motherboard, so I'm not sure what you expect me to tell you. The 580 is a very good card for resolve. However I would strongly recommend looking carefully at the resolve configuration guide and going by its recommendations for the host system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]