FORUMS: list search recent posts

RGB or 701 question

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sander van de kerkhof
RGB or 701 question
on Jan 6, 2013 at 11:17:00 pm

Hi, I'm new to resolve and grading and have some confusions on what workflow to choose.

Footage is shot on Sony FS100 and 7D, editing will be done in media composer.
What should my workflow be for broadcast from media composer to resolve back, back to media composer for final render.

Should i edit everything in 701 and grade in davinci in full range making sure nothing exceeds legal values and render as full as well then round trip to avid and export 701 output?
Or should i select normal scaled video on both my project and export settings in resolve?

I'm looking for the most non destructive way to do this process.

Thnx,
Sander

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: RGB or 701 question
on Jan 7, 2013 at 1:43:35 am

Were the files transcoded to a DNxHD format in the process? Will you be grading the DNxHD MXF media in your workflow? DNxHD is a Rec.709 codec (not counting DNxHD 444) so I would recommend staying Rec.709.

Michael

Return to posts index

ninetto makavejev
on Feb 10, 2013 at 12:56:31 pm

Hello, this question popped up for me also, since I am dealing with a very chaotic P2-AVC-Intra Premiere Project that could-not, would-not export a usuable EDL/XML for Resolve.

So I want to export this AVC-Intra project as DNxHD, and use Resolve's wonderful scene-detector.

But I am unsure if I should export the DNxHD-185 color space as 709 or keep the RGB and send the master later in post to broadcast-legal? My initial intuition was to pick 709 as that is the final delivery space desired, but since subs/other titles will still be added after conform delivery, maybe it IS better to "keep RGB levels"?

Would be very grateful for a "best practices" rule from the cracks on this forum... best, n.m.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 10, 2013 at 10:58:16 pm

I'mpretty sure the original media is Rec.709, and certainly DNxHD is a Rec.709 codec. Also, seeing as the intention is a broadcast master, then it should be Rec.709 all the way. Any titles and such created should also be done with that specification in mind or it will get clamped, clipped or rejected.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]