FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve Lite 9 - getting started with some basic configuration and operation

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Chang
Resolve Lite 9 - getting started with some basic configuration and operation
on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:46:40 pm

I've watched a couple of the Resolve 9 demos, and I'm very interested. So, I've downloaded the Lite version and start playing with it.

First, I have two Dell U2412M monitors at 1920x1200. When I start Lite, the window goes over the border of my screen. I cannot see the minimize, maximize, close window on the top right hand corner at all. I can not customize the window size.

Second, does anyone know the work from from Avid Media Composer to Resolve Lite and back? I've watched this

but I'm getting an error when exporting as AAF because I'm using AMA. I've tried Avid but there is not much help regarding this issue.

Third, when I tried exporting from Avid Media Composer 6 as AAF with transcode footage checked and import the project into Lite, I get the following popup window. What does it mean?

Fourth, how do I redirect my "Save As" to a folder that I wanted in Resolve Lite 9? Right now, when I click "Save As" it just saved and that's it. I'm not sure where it's saved at.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Resolve Lite 9 - getting started with some basic configuration and operation
on Jan 2, 2013 at 6:20:54 pm

[Charlie Chang] " I get the following popup window. What does it mean?"

What are you "spline interpolating"? Resolve does not support variable speed remaps, which might be one explanation. You might be doing some PanTiltRevolveZoom (PTRZ) remaps that Resolve can't recreate.

AAF roundtripping is still not quite as evolved or developed as XML workflow, so AMA, which uses some relative path assignments will probably result in Resolve not being able to link to the media, which does not have to conform with the AvidMediaFiles/MXF/# convention... but the return trip *does*.

If you want an externally accessible DaVinci project file, you would be as well-served by simply doing an "export" of your current project, and you can assign a new name and a directory of your choice. Works very nicely for creating backups, archives, remote grades if your client requests them.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Charlie Chang
Re: Resolve Lite 9 - getting started with some basic configuration and operation
on Jan 2, 2013 at 7:22:20 pm

Many thanks for the response. Yes, you are right. I'm doing some key frame slow motion in Avid MC6. Okay, so the best way to prevent problems/errors when exporting AAF to Resolve is to transcode or mixdown all my clips and then do the export, correct?

So, where do Resolve Lite safe all my projects at? Is there a way I can set a default location for Lite to save this projects? I like to know this so I can back them up.

Okay, so is there a way to resize the window of Resolve Lite 9? It seemed like once I launch Lite, it automatically fills my left monitor (it even go beyond my monitor screen) that I can resize or minimize it.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 3, 2013 at 5:47:06 pm

We've been "baking out" clips that have this behaviour since the dawn of Silicon Color Final Touch.

Resolve saves its project files in a database and is one of those things that generally doesn't have any "user serviceable parts" inside. The new manual talks about setting up the project file storage in two optional manners -- the old database and disk-based, which may allow you to designate a specific path. This is mostly useful for importing NLE interchange files such as XML, AAF, and EDLs. As I wrote previously, you can always "export" a version wherever you want, as backups.

Resizing the "window" of Resolve Lite is a bit ambiguous, since the User Interface itself is a collection of windows which can be re-sized in a number of ways... dragging the boundaries between the preview, galleries and node display, for example, switching into Cinema Viewer or Enhanced Viewer... expanding and contracting the keyframe window... all described in the manual.

Also refer to the configuration guide for advice on running the application on sub-standard devices (unapproved GPUs, low-resolution displays, etc.).

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]