FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cheapest Easiest hardware config to get started?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Thomas
Cheapest Easiest hardware config to get started?
on Dec 2, 2012 at 9:03:34 pm

I've downloaded the free version of Resolve and I'd like to try it out on a DSLR video project just to see if this software is right for me. The software won't open; I get a "no CUDA acceleration hardware detected" message. Computer hardware is not my strong point and I'm struggling to understand what I need to buy as a MINIMUM money investment to get started.

My computer runs Intel Quad Core, 8gb RAM with an ATI Radeon HD3850 graphics card. I've been researching but GUI's, GPU's, etc aren't something I understand easily. Can someone show me the way without overcomplicating things?

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Cheapest Easiest hardware config to get started?
on Dec 3, 2012 at 6:30:17 am

Hi Mike, have you read our config guide? Links on the BMD forum or our support web site.
It lists a low cost windows config.
Consider the GTX580 as a single shared GPU is your motherboard is appropriate.
Peter

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Dec 3, 2012 at 11:56:37 pm

Thanks for the reply Peter. I will definitely check out the config guide you mentioned. The main thing really is that I'm just a bit confused about GPU's, GUI's, CUDA, etc. Is the GTX 580 just a graphics card like what I already have except for that it's a different brand? Am I correct in saying that what I need to run Resolve is the CUDA feature and that feature only comes with certain brands of graphics cards such as the one you mentioned?

Can you give me a dummy's guide to Resolve Hardware in a paragraph and just explain what it is that I need and why? I'm really not that dumb...just when it comes to computer hardware. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on Dec 4, 2012 at 2:29:39 am

CUDA is a NVIDIA GPU processing technique. A similar thing on the AMD side is OpenCL. Resolve works best with CUDA. Resolve can work with OpenCL cards, but only on Mac and at a reduced performance level, and lack of some features, such as Noise Reduction.

Not all cards of either type support either mode adequately for Resolve. That's why you need to look in the Resolve Config guide to see actual tested and recommended cards.

For example, your HD3850 card will not run OpenCL adequately for Resolve, assuming you even have a Mac. On Windows, no AMD card will work with Resolve. You must use supported NVIDIA cards in a Windows PC.

Resolve prefers a separate card for the GUI card (card which drives the display) and the GPU card (card which does the Resolve processing), but can work with a single card doing both things, at a reduced performance level. Resolve V9 has been optimized to better use a single card, so a single NVIDIA GTX580 would work well in a PC environment, but would require too much power to go inside a MacPro tower. A GTX570 works nicely for that.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Dec 4, 2012 at 3:13:37 am

Thanks Dwaine. Between your info and the config guide I'm now reading I think I'm all set. Great forum. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]