FORUMS: list search recent posts

Outboard Scopes

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Edwards
Outboard Scopes
on Nov 10, 2012 at 1:32:36 pm

Hello,

I am trying to find more information on configuring a Resolve system with an outboard monitor. How does it plug into the system? I'm guessing SDI, but is it chained up, or does it need a separate SDI connection?

Also, is it constantly monitoring how your render is going to be? I don't think that is possible, as Resolve colors in RGB space, so shouldn't it be looking at that? But at what point does it show you the render? How does that work?

I think maybe I'm over-thinking the monitor, as what your grading is what you're going to get in the render, but I want to be sure. The confusing part is that when you go to the render, you have the option of Full Scaled and Normal Legal; that's where I get confused.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
Re: Outboard Scopes
on Nov 10, 2012 at 7:37:33 pm

You need any one of the many output devices made by Blackmagic. SDI is definitely preferred, and the Decklink SDI is probably the cheapest option. What do you mean by "chained up"? The Decklink can also be used by many other applications, such as Premiere and FCP.
Basically, what you see on the SDI monitor is what you will get, assuming the monitor is calibrated. In most circumstances, normally scaled legal is the correct choice for rendering, but unscaled full range video does have a place, mostly in higher end workflows. I'll let someone with more technical knowledge answer the color space question.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Nov 10, 2012 at 7:47:18 pm

So I have the Decklink SDI, with my monitor connected via the SDI out. How do I connect an outboard scope to my Resolve system? Out of the monitor, that's coming out of the computer?

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Nov 10, 2012 at 9:13:55 pm

Resolve has built in scopes which you can enable in the View menu I think. Just plug in a cheap VGA or DVI monitor to your graphics card, turn on extended desktop, and drag the scopes window over there.
If you really want to use a dedicated scopes device, you can plug it into the loop through of your SDI monitor. But I think that will be an expensive waste of desk space, for a very small advantage over the built in scopes.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Nov 10, 2012 at 9:46:09 pm

I thought so too, but I have read from multiple posts that the internal monitors do not have the same quality as the internal ones to output a video that's broadcast safe.

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Nov 10, 2012 at 10:17:52 pm

Oh, ok I see what you're saying now. I just found some articles on the pros and cons. I'll be sticking with software scopes personally, but the answer to your question is that the hardware scopes would loop through the same SDI connection as your monitor; no need for a second Decklink.
There is an option in Master Project Settings for video monitoring color space. Make sure that matches your choice of levels in Render settings, and the image will match.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Nov 11, 2012 at 1:33:44 am

Cool, thanks man!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]