FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic question about order of operations

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliott Balsley
Basic question about order of operations
on Nov 3, 2012 at 5:44:07 pm

Hi everybody. I'm wondering about the quality difference between different methods of working.
Let's say I have an interior shot with a warm yellow cast to it, but the open window is too blue. Two possible approaches:
a) Correct the yellow cast over the whole image, then isolate and adjust the blue window
b) Isolate the window and adjust it, then use the same isolation box/qualifier (but inverted) to correct the yellow cast.
In the first approach, two adjustments are being applied to the window area. My question is, does this degrade the image any more than the second approach? I know that it would if I were to render the first adjustment, then bring the rendered clip back in and apply the second adjustment. But I guess what I'm asking is, is Resolve smart enough to sort of "combine" the two opposite adjustments, rather than applying them sequentially?

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
Re: Basic question about order of operations
on Nov 3, 2012 at 6:31:32 pm

Resolve's answer to your question is the difference between serial and parralel nodes. With serial nodes you'll adjust sequentially and with paralel nodes you can feed the same source to different corrections.

I hope I explain this well:)

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Nov 3, 2012 at 6:48:47 pm

Ah I see, that makes sense. I'm not used to working with nodes yet.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Nov 3, 2012 at 7:11:21 pm

Just to add:

I would go for option B. Make a window on the window and an outside window as well. I think it's the fastest way of dealing with your issue.

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

Liam Ward
on Nov 7, 2012 at 2:20:19 pm

[Elliott Balsley] "Ah I see, that makes sense. I'm not used to working with nodes yet."

I would highly recommend understanding how to use the nodes in resolve and when to use the different types of nodes, this is what's going to unlock the true power of resolve as apposed to say Apple Color.

Should't be too hard find some free tutorials on this, if not there are a couple of good pay options that don't break the bank.

Liam.

Liam Ward
Sinking Ship Entertainment

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]