FORUMS: list search recent posts

New iMacs with Kepler GPU

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliott Balsley
New iMacs with Kepler GPU
on Oct 23, 2012 at 6:57:11 pm

Today Apple refreshed its iMac line with Kepler GPUs. It can be configured with a GTX 675MX, or 680MX. How do you think this will affect performance in Resolve? Until now, I've read Kepler doesn't really add much, if anything, over the GTX 500 series, and I think that's due to poor driver support on macs. But with these new machines, I'm guessing they will improve driver support. I wonder if this will carry over to the desktop versions of these cards, making a GTX 680 significantly better than a 580.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: New iMacs with Kepler GPU
on Oct 23, 2012 at 8:49:21 pm

[Elliott Balsley] "Until now, I've read Kepler doesn't really add much, if anything, over the GTX 500 series, and I think that's due to poor driver support on macs. "

It's really due to a change in the chip architecture that reduces it's performance on computational tasks.

[Elliott Balsley] "How do you think this will affect performance in Resolve? "

Considering previous iMacs were using AMD chipsets, I'm guessing it'll be a BIG improvement. The MBP retina with it's 650M performs admirably with resolve, so this should do quite well.

[Elliott Balsley] " I wonder if this will carry over to the desktop versions of these cards, making a GTX 680 significantly better than a 580."

I would doubt that very much. Don't expect to see any major leaps in performance on the 680s... minor leaps, maybe.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
Re: New iMacs with Kepler GPU
on Oct 25, 2012 at 11:45:09 pm

Someone sent me a link to NVIDIA's page on the GTX 680MX which was loaded today. Caveat is Apple may not implement it quite as described by NVIDIA. Here's the specs:

Specifications
Note: The below specifications represent this GPU as incorporated into NVIDIA's reference graphics card design. Graphics card specifications may vary by OEM. Please refer to the OEM website for actual shipping specifications.

GPU Engine Specs:
1536CUDA Cores
720Processor Clock Tester(MHz)
92.2Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)
Memory Specs:
2500 MHzMemory Clock
GDDR5Memory Interface
256-bitMemory Interface Width
160Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)
Feature Support:
4.1OpenGL
PCI Express 3.0Bus Support
YesCertified for Windows 7
3D Vision, 3DTV Play, CUDA, DirectX 11, PhysX, SLI, TXAA, Adaptive VSync, FXAASupported Technologies
2-waySLI Options
Yes3D Vision Ready

Compare to the 650M:

Specifications
Note: The below specifications represent this GPU as incorporated into NVIDIA's reference graphics card design. Graphics card specifications may vary by OEM. Please refer to the OEM website for actual shipping specifications.

GPU Engine Specs:
384 coresCUDA Cores
Up to 900 MHzGraphics Clock (MHz)
Up to 27.2Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)
Memory Specs:
DDR3\GDDR5Memory Interface
128bitMemory Interface Width
Up to 80.0Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)
Feature Support:
4.1OpenGL
PCI Express 2.0, PCI Express 3.0Bus Support
YesCertified for Windows 7
DirectX 11, Optimus, PhysX, OpenCL, DirectCompute, 3D Vision, CUDASupported Technologies
Display Support:
3840 x 2160Maximum Digital Resolution
Up to 2048x1536Maximum VGA Resolution
YesHDCP
YesHDMI
3D Vision Ready
Yes3D Blu-Ray

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved