FORUMS: list search recent posts

Most cost effect, stable and flexible system - Mac or PC? (operating system preferences aside)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tomberlin
Most cost effect, stable and flexible system - Mac or PC? (operating system preferences aside)
on Oct 22, 2012 at 10:06:35 pm

I'm currently running Resolve on a 12 core Mac Pro and am considering moving it to a dedicated PC. With Apple's inconsistent support of Nvidia, the additional PCIe slots and the greater variety of cards available for the PC, it seems this may be a more flexible and cost effective way to go. The Mac Pro would continue to be the "everything else" box and the PC only for Resolve.

I'm looking here for affirmation or warnings one way or the other. If PC is the better choice, is there a custom builder that is a good choice or is an off the shelf HP safer?

Thanks for any feedback-

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Most cost effect, stable and flexible system - Mac or PC? (operating system preferences aside)
on Oct 23, 2012 at 4:41:02 pm

Keep the Mac, spend the money on a Cubix and never look back.
Resolve teamed up with the new Smoke 2013 is the system I always dreamed of.
Nothing like that on PC.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
Re: Most cost effect, stable and flexible system - Mac or PC? (operating system preferences aside)
on Oct 25, 2012 at 3:24:26 am

Well you sort of hit on part of my problem - resolve and smoke on the same system. With resolve only supporting BLackmagic and smoke only supporting AJA, how would you make this work? Cubix and dual boot with either Aja or bmd drivers or what?

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Oct 24, 2012 at 9:32:44 pm

if you can't afford a cubix: hackintosh. but then you should bring in a lot of
technical interest and patience :)

once it is up and running, you will never look back again as well
(did i say never? i meant till the next osx update;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]