FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting XML from Final Cut Pro to Davinci Resolve Lite

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Jordan
exporting XML from Final Cut Pro to Davinci Resolve Lite
on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:44:50 am

I'm attempting to import an XML from FCP7 to Davinci Resolve 9 Lite and for some reason Davinci insists on importing the XML as 24 FPS, even though the Final Cut sequence is 29.97 FPS. I already graded an entire sequence before discovering this error - is there something I'm missing, and a relatively quick way to fix it?

If you know a way, I'd appreciate it - I've been spending most of the last couple of days working on the transition between FCP7 and DaVinci Resolve Lite.

I'm also having issues, by the way, with render files and motion projects within FCP7, in that they're not showing up in Davinci, or when they are they're not where they are in the original sequence. If anybody has any insight into that I'd appreciate it as well.

Return to posts index

Rowan Cloete
Re: exporting XML from Final Cut Pro to Davinci Resolve Lite
on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:47:50 pm

Hey there!

I'd like to be able to cast light on your problem, but I am not able to import XML into Resolve 9 Lite at all - the option is greyed out. I assumed that with the full release XML import/export was not longer available. Though yours is coming in at the wrong frame rate, you are able to import XML - I'm stumped! Anyone have any ideas? Thisw is the first post relating to any kind of XML import issue with 9 that I could find...

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Oct 31, 2012 at 9:05:44 pm

You need to switch to conform page before you can load the XML.

Return to posts index

Giannakis Omirous
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:39:11 pm

i am having the same problem here...hmmmm..guess the lite version is just a teaser

Return to posts index

Doug Beatty
on Feb 1, 2013 at 8:10:24 pm

Nope- this isn't just limited to the Lite version.

I just finished a round tripped half hour project from Premiere CS6->Resolve 9.1 via FCP XML->Premiere and no matter what I did, Resolve forced the conform to a 24fps timeline.

We shot 4K R3D at 23.976 and worked on a Premiere sequence with those exact settings.

I verified that the 23.976 flags in the exported FCP XML were correct True

Prior to the import, master settings were set to 23.976 playback and the 23.976 R3D clips were brought into the Resolve media pool under those settings, and clip info confirmed that Resolve read them as 23.976

On the conform page, I imported the FCP XML and was met with a window warning me that the imported sequence had a different fps than the project settings.

This is bad because the 23.976 offline video would not link to the grade, and I missed a deadline trying to trouble shoot drifting audio back in Premiere.

The only solution was to go ahead and render out to true 24fps and then bring the video back into Premiere and right click the MOV in the bin->source settings->force frame rate to 23.976

Return to posts index

Robert Due
on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:13:31 pm

I am having the same issues here with roundtripping out of FCP to Resolve and back. Working with RED clips @ 23.976 fps (23.98) and importing the XML in Resolve creates a 24 fps timeline.

Clips render out as 23.976 and the exported XML from Resolve creates a 24 fps sequence back in FCP. Having to manually import clips and cut them back in. Definitely not a true round trip.

BMD, please fix!!!

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT
DaVinci 9.1.1
OSX 10.7.5
MacPro 8-core 4,1 2.93 Ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GT120/GTX570 (CUDA 5.0.36)
Decklink Extreme3D+
Panny BT-LH1710P/ Panny BT-LH2600W
Tangent Wave

Return to posts index

Jesper Kodahl Andersen
on May 14, 2013 at 1:19:49 pm

I can say that this is not a problem exclusive to the 23.98 crowd. I just graded a sequence that I thought was in 25fps. It came in as the same stupid 24fps and I looked inside the XML file to see if Premiere screwed something up. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the XML as far as I could ascertain. every time there was something about frame rate the XML said 25fps.
Not only that but I tried to import the seq as an EDL instead because there it let me choose the frame rate when importing. Only to have it come up with an error saying that it cannot change the sequence frame rate from 24 to 25!! Aaaargh!
Sooo.... I would love to hear BMD's solution to this one. I'm sure it must be some banal error on our part.

cheers
Jesper Kodahl Andersen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]