FORUMS: list search recent posts

A big thank-you to Dwaine in BMD tech support!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter J. DeCrescenzo
A big thank-you to Dwaine in BMD tech support!
on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:13:42 pm

My tech support story from hell … finally has a happy ending.

As many of you know, the Blackmagic Cinema Camera will ship with the full version of Davinci Resolve 9 included. In the meantime, a free version of Davinci Resolve Lite 9 can be downloaded from BMD’s website.

Unfortunately, until today, despite my trying dozens of times since the BMCC was announced this past April, I’ve never had success getting Davinci Resolve Lite to even launch on my MacBook Pro 17″ (early 2010 model, 2.66GHz i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, pre-ThunderBolt, currently running Mac OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion).

For some still-unknown reason the CUDA installer would always error-out at the end of its install process on my MBP. CUDA wouldn’t install correctly, and as a result, I couldn’t run Resolve.

Success at last!

Thanks hugely to Dwaine Maggart of BMD tech support, after dozens of back & forth emails troubleshooting my issue over the course of many days, it ends up that the new NVIDIA CUDA 5.0.36 drivers (released over the past weekend) are finally able to install without errors on my MBP.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

More importantly, not only did CUDA finally install w/o errors for the first time on my machine, but I’m able to launch Blackmagic Davinci Resolve Lite 9 w/o errors, too!

To get to this point, Dwaine & I tried “everything”, including my reinstalling CUDA 5.0.17 & 5.0.24 several times, uninstalling & reinstalling Resolve several times, his instructing me how to delete CUDA manually (file by file), running Apple’s Disk Utilities Repair Permissions several times, setting permissions manually using Terminal, and even my re-installing Mac OS X 10.8.2 ML (4 hrs. just to do that step alone!), and more.

Unfortunately, none of those things made any difference, because as it ended up, all along it was apparently a problem with NVIDIA’s previous CUDA drivers (or the driver installer)!

The weird thing about this was that other users, including at least one BMD employee, reported they were able to run the previous CUDA drivers on identical hardware running the same Mac OS & Resolve versions.

This morning, minutes before I was about to give up on software solutions and pull the 3rd party RAM out of my machine (to test if my issue was caused by a possible-but-unlikely bad RAM hardware issue), Dwaine emailed me about the new CUDA 5.0.36 drivers.

That was the solution.

I can’t thank Dwaine and BMD enough for the above-and-beyond support they gave me.

Now I’m finally able to begin learning how to use Resolve! I’ve been trying to use it since April, so I’m months behind …

And, wouldn’t you know it, co-incidentally, just today Philip Bloom & Dan Moran posted a beginner’s tutorial video on how to get started with Resolve!

Happy endings are great! :-)

The moral of the story is: If you’re having some sort of computer problem, be persistent. Even if the actual cause of the problem is never discovered, chances are very good that eventually a solution will be found so you can get on with your work and life. Cheers.

---

http://www.peterdv.com
Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]