FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve only using about 4gb of RAM

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Wright
Resolve only using about 4gb of RAM
on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:51:26 am

Hi there,

Just done some upgrades on our system here, moved from a 5770 to a GTX 570 (for both GPU and GUI at the moment). I notice that in both R9 and 9.0.1 my system only seems to be using around 4.6gb of RAM. Tried it in a variety of tasks, decoding/rendering raw arri files, decoding/rendering epic files, pro res 4444 grading/rendering, rendering to MXFs etc but activity monitor never shows any usage above 5 gig.

I realise that a number of these processes don't rely on the ram and are more GPU dependant, I just thought it was strange that the minimum requirement is 8gb and mine doesn't seem to be getting close to using that.

It's the latest model of mac pro, 10.7.3, 17gb of RAM (strange number I know but there was a spare gig floating around), GTX 570, latest cuda driver, R9.0.1.

Any thoughts? Could it just be other limitations of the system not allowing the RAM to kick in?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Jostein Svalheim
Re: Resolve only using about 4gb of RAM
on Sep 26, 2012 at 12:30:48 pm

If you ordered the computer with 16gigs of ram, i would think they made sure you had a 64bit operating system. If the operating system is 32bit, it can only effectively use around 4 gigs of ram. 64bits have virtually no limit.

Return to posts index

Jon Wright
on Sep 26, 2012 at 12:38:14 pm

Operating system is definitely booting into 64bit mode, marked as 'yes' under system profiler.

Edit: Also resolve 9 wouldn't open unless the operating system was 64 bit.

Jon

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Sep 27, 2012 at 11:09:25 am

mine uses right now 9gb of ram on rendering a red short...

osx 10.6.7 resolve 9.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]