FORUMS: list search recent posts

gtx 580 on mac pro 8core early 2008 - absolute beginner!!!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marco vignoni
gtx 580 on mac pro 8core early 2008 - absolute beginner!!!
on Sep 20, 2012 at 1:36:45 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm quite new on hardware's world so sorry if someone just answer to this question but I didn't find informations I need...
I've to upgrade my actual system, a mac pro early 2008, 8 cores, 4gb ram, radeon 2600 and 10.7.4 osx, whit an nvidia gtx580.
My purpose is to use it just as gpu (no monitoring) for da vinci resolve lite, and keep using the radeon as monitoring output (or maybe purchase a second hand gtx285 flashed for mac).
I've found this one from zotac:

http://www.nexths.it/v3/flypage.php?mv_arg=ZT-50105-10P&srccode=cii_7240466...

My questions are:

1: Does exist drivers for mac that permits me to use this card whit all applications (such fcpro, afx, blender ecc...) or just whit cuda based apps? I understood that resolve lite will detect the cuda cores and card even if the mac pro don't, right? Not so necessary, but if I can use it whit other apps will be cool...

2: is the zotac version I've posted good? I don't understand WHY it costs half than other 580! Is good this for my purposes?

3:Heard 'bout troubles 'bout cable connections here:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/17602

is the model I've posted above ok for the early 2008?
Thanks everyone for help!!!

This town needs an enema! _The Joker

Return to posts index

Toby Risk
Re: gtx 580 on mac pro 8core early 2008 - absolute beginner!!!
on Sep 21, 2012 at 8:05:05 am

I'm not sure about the power requirements for the 580 but I am using a GTX 670 with an ATI 2600 on a 2008 8 core Mac Pro.

The GTX 670 uses both the extra 6 pin power connectors but the 2600 doesn't need one. So there is enough. if the 580 needs 8 pin power connectors then it's a new power supply setup, otherwise you should be good to go.

So far it's a similar speed to the 2600 / fx 4000 combo I was using before.

ah yes and I had to upgrade to Mountain Lion and the latest Cuda driver for this to work, the 670 wasn't supported in Lion as far as I could establish.

Cheers

Toby

Colourist | Editor | Post-Production Consultant -- 23 years at the post-production coalface, and still loving it.

Return to posts index

marco vignoni
on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:57:58 pm

Tnx toby, I'll check 'bout power consuption & connectors...
Just for ask, how many frames per second your system can handle whit an alexa 444 pro res? People here speak 'bout 50 fps rendering on resolve lite whit the 580...

Return to posts index

Rasch Dè rascher
on Sep 23, 2012 at 8:17:20 pm

I get a look inside my mac (and a quick clean too!) and i noticed that my radeon 2600 don't needs power connectors as i tought.
I have 2 6 pin connectors, and apple's specs says "300w for every card installed" so I have to think both connectors gives 600W?
However, I've found 2 versions of the 580, one that don't reports about cables but just a power consuption of 244W, the other one reports about 2 connectors, one 6 pin and one 8 pins.
Does it means that the first one don't needs supply via cable?? (sounds really strange for a card build for graph acceleration)
And the second one? Means that one can choose between the 6 or 8 pin cable, or needs both? I begin to feel an electrician instead a D.I.T ahahahah!
thanx everybody for help.....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]