FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codec workflow with DaVinci Resolve 8.2.x on Windows when source is XDCAM

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Stone
Codec workflow with DaVinci Resolve 8.2.x on Windows when source is XDCAM
on Aug 10, 2012 at 4:35:35 am

Presently finishing the software install a PC workstation centered around servicing DaVinci Resolve production work among other things.

Much of the material I will be working with will be XDCAM or ProRes as source files. The NLE will be Premiere Pro at least for now (too much audio gear that does not play nicely with AVID).

Would like to know what is the best way of dealing with codecs such as XDCAM and ProRes that are not friendly to either DaVinci Resolve or a Windows environment in some cases. I am, of course, interested in maintaining metadata and an elegant way of converting files to a Resolve/Premiere Pro format.

I have read about ffmpeg for conversion but I am looking for a more elegant and transparent solution with a straightforward conversion including metadata and something close to a "roundtripping" kind of workflow (I understand the issues about transitions and timing when doing XML exporting).

A workflow for XDCAM based source files is of particular importance.

DNxHD and Cineform seem like obvious contenders as an intermediary format.

I knew the drill on a Macintosh...

-Andrew

Return to posts index

John Pilgrim
Re: Codec workflow with DaVinci Resolve 8.2.x on Windows when source is XDCAM
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:50:44 am

I'm curious what was your drill on the Mac side...
I've graded many many FCP7 projects consisting of mixed XDCAM-EX footage (MOVs from XDCAM Transfer) and ProResHQ footage (VFX renders from AFX), in ProResHQ sequences sent via XML directly to Resolve 8.x on the Mac without any problems.
I'm curious what you anticipate the differences in workflow might be, having just set up Resolve 9 on a new Windows machine myself.
The first that I can think of is that I'll have to render from Resolve to DNxHD instead of ProRes. Not a biggie for most of my clients. For those that really want ProRes, I figure I'll render DPX and convert to ProRes with ffmbc or ffmpeg.

Thanks!
John

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
Re: Codec workflow with DaVinci Resolve 8.2.x on Windows when source is XDCAM
on Aug 12, 2012 at 6:23:56 pm

On the Mac side, I almost always converted source files to ProRes using Compressor.

Recently, after moving from FCP to Premiere Pro CS 5.5, I began using Adobe Media Encoder but it would often fail half way through long sequences being run out of Premiere on a Mac.

FFMPEG will work but frankly I do not want to be rockin the commandline while I am editing.

Right now I am seriously looking at Cineform Studio Premium as a solution for file conversion. I have heard more than a few people sing the praises of Cineform as an intermediary codec. Similar to ProRes in many regards.

The issues are going to be (unless something as changed recently) with Resolve not playing nicely with XDCAM EX material and the inability to encode to ProRes on the Windows platform with exception of the commandline app FFMPEG.

My goal is to find the shortest line from A to B without sacrificing too much quality.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]