FORUMS: list search recent posts

I Bar/Fleshtone Line on Ultrascope

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Farrell
I Bar/Fleshtone Line on Ultrascope
on Jan 9, 2011 at 12:30:37 am

Hi there,

Curious to know if there's any UltraScope users out there who would like to see the Flesh tone Line (I Bar) on the vectorscope. In my opinion it's one of most useful indicators and should be mandatory for any vectorscope. Hopefully if there's enough interest, BM will include it in an update.

Thanks,

Tim Farrell

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: I Bar/Fleshtone Line on Ultrascope
on Jan 9, 2011 at 2:45:51 am

ditto. I would also like to see BM adapt a Diamond type display for RGB gamut errors

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 9, 2011 at 8:33:39 pm

[Robbie Carman] "I would also like to see BM adapt a Diamond type display for RGB gamut errors"

That would be lovely, but Tektronix holds the patent on that type of display -- but its not, in fact, totally valid as a gamut warning in the Y'CbCr system as there are legal values in both that do not translate directly into the other, or to baseband composite which has its own gamut envelope in Y+C.

As far as the In-phase axis ("I-bar") graticule goes... it really should be part of any scope system that can synthesize or simulate a baseband composite video signal. But strictly speaking, that's really all that its valid for. The Y'IQ/Y'CbCr transform is not a direct arithmetic rescale, its a matrix transform, and there is plenty of opportunity for round-off and phase errors to creep in. I agree, its a nice signpost, but its not an absolute, or bulletproof reference. I suppose its okay for B, Ed&I straight-up talking heads, but for drama, almost useless, dPs are always using theatrical lighting, so fleshtone can be almost anything. What's hilarious is the cyan/amber "action" palette, where, just because you can, everybody is "normal", even in an over-the-top blue wash. There has been some discussion about this, and one observation was made that some movies could be "dated" by the color design.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jan 10, 2011 at 1:21:26 am

[Joseph Owens] "ektronix holds the patent on that type of display -- but its not, in fact, totally valid as a gamut warning in the Y'CbCr system as there are legal values in both that do not translate directly into the other, or to baseband composite which has its own gamut envelope in Y+C."

Yes your right about the patent JP. Harris with their Iris display is a fine alternative, BM could do something similar showing the same type of information but on a different type of graticule. And granted its not a total solution 98% of the problems I encounter from QC are gamut issues even run through a DL 860 which in itself is not a "one stop" fix it all solution either.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Jan 9, 2011 at 2:55:39 am

YES. If you had asked me when I purchased the Ultrascope, I would have said that I expected the biggest advantage of it over hardware scopes would be that Ultrascopes would have a customizable GUI - adding and removing lines, guides, targets, zooming to many different increments. After all, it wouldn't place any serious demands on the hardware...

But I've been disappointed that the Ultrascope doesn't do more... even some interactivity or being able to draw custom markers, etc...

KC

prehistoricdigital.com
hardworkingpixels.com

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jan 9, 2011 at 8:36:57 am

We just have to ask BM nicely and i'm sure they will make it happen :)

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Jan 9, 2011 at 8:55:13 am

Alex Borges
"Resolve could give us RGB values by setting a marker on the image, that's invaluable to check if your blacks or whites are truly balanced."

I know this is a janky workaround, but you could use the DigitalColor Meter utility with "Float Window" and "Refresh Continuously" checked. I compared it to Speedgrade's tool and it gives the same RGB values pixel for pixel, so I imagine using it with an increased aperture size would help you evaluate blacks and whites. If you're using a control surface it should work fine because you don't need to click around to make corrections.

twitter.com/illyalaney

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Jan 9, 2011 at 10:52:35 pm

Ah, nice one Illya. I've trying to figure out a way to restrict the vectorscope to read only a portion of the frame, but this will work nicely.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 10, 2011 at 8:51:22 pm

[Alex Borges] " something that lets you compare several points though."

Actually available in COLOR... but this is BM Resolve...

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Darin Wooldridge
on Jan 9, 2011 at 8:19:55 pm

I agree it need more functionality. It's far from a hardware scope.
pixel count, some kind of blacking measurement tool. The mac resolve doesn't have all the presets for mattes on the output formatter. I want my 1.85:1, 2.40:1, 2.35:1 , 1.66:1 preset mattes back or a way to measure them with the system.

NOTE: The comments above are strictly mine, and may not necessarily
represent those of my employers.

Darin Wooldridge
Colorist / Technical Strategist
818-653-3918-cell
dwooldridge@mac.com
check me out at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Davinci-Resolve-Colorist/117363011609028?ref=....

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Jan 10, 2011 at 2:04:23 am

I have consolidated this post and will put our requests in the COW Blackmagic forum. If something's missing, please add now before I post.

-flesh line
-Double-Diamond type display for RGB gamut errors
-Any form of 3D represented Color Gamut (preferably interactive)
-pixel count
-blacking measurement tool.
-matte presets

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]