FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mountain Lion + 680 standard candle results

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Cannon
Mountain Lion + 680 standard candle results
on Aug 4, 2012 at 7:54:20 am

Hi all,

I received three GTX 680s today and ran some quick standard candle tests as I loaded the 680s up. Everything I was testing was with 10.8 and V9 Beta, the current CUDA drivers and a 12-core Mac Pro with 24GB RAM. The GPUs were in a Cubix Desktop 4 and the 680s are the EVGA 4GB "FTW" edition.

I'm not experienced in benchmarking, but I took Sascha's standard candle test from 8.2 and ran it with a number of configurations, and took some numbers from other threads like this one. Here's a kind of random comparison:

Since a lot of the results get pinned up against the 24 fps project rate, it's tough to compare, for example, 3 580s and 3 680s. I changed the resolution of the standard candle project to 4096x2160 and got these results:

I was happy to see that there were not diminishing returns going from 1 to 2 to 3 680s, which makes me think bandwidth in the Cubix isn't an immediate problem, even at 4K. Anybody with 580s or 570s care to test at that resolution? Or doing 680 2GB versions without the Cubix?

Cheers,

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
Re: Mountain Lion + 680 standard candle results
on Aug 4, 2012 at 3:29:21 pm

Interesting. Comparable performance with the 580, but with more RAM and less power draw.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Aug 4, 2012 at 6:12:21 pm

It seems from the other tests the 580 regularly beats the 680.

Kevin, we're you running 4gb 680s? We're they the overclocked version? What about the 580s you're comparing against? Runnin resolve 9 for all tests right?

Thanks for running and posting this. Very compelling results.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Aug 4, 2012 at 6:44:22 pm

Hi Juan,

I'm running the EVGA 4GB "FTW" edition, which is not as over-clocked as the "classified" version but I believe has a higher clock speed than the reference card.

Some of the comparisons on the chart are not using v9, because I grabbed them from people's posts on 8.2.x. They were using the 580 "classified" version for those tests. I don't have any 580s to test, these are the ones from the chart I did in v9:

285x3
680x3
680x2
680x1

and all the 4K resolution stuff. But if people have v9 580 candle tests, it would be interesting to compare, especially at 4K where the differences are more visible.

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Chris Armstrong
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:23:37 pm

Hey Kevin,

How did you get the 680's to work with Mountain Lion? Did Nvidia release a new version of their drivers or does the older version work with the 680?

Elysian Pictures Production Company
RED Epic & RED One Rentals

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:48:59 pm

Hi Chris,

I only installed 10.8 and new CUDA drivers, nothing additional from NVidia. I think the real crucial parts are in 10.8.

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Alan Gordon
on Aug 25, 2012 at 8:34:13 am

I haven't even completely finished building my new PC rig (1 CPU, half of the RAM, and the decklink card are still not installed) but I decided I needed to put Davinci through its paces.

This rig at the moment is a single 8 Core Sandybridge E5 2670, 32GB of RAM, and a 4GB OC GTX 680 for both GUI and GPU.

Standard Candle results are as follows:

2, 4, 6 nodes of blur: 24fps

12 nodes of blur: 15 fps

NR 4: 24fps
NR 3: 24fps
NR 2: 12fps
NR 1: 3.5

These results are remarkably similar to the single GPU test WITH a dedicated GUI card. I think the days of a dedicated GUI card may be over.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 8, 2012 at 9:22:40 pm

can someone send me the link to the test and files?
I have the tar file and have it loaded but no actual image to work with.
also instructions as to how your testing.
or is it really just based on pressing play after a serial node is added?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]