FORUMS: list search recent posts

Initial setup: video lag and scopes refresh rate

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Lahat
Initial setup: video lag and scopes refresh rate
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:33:08 am

Just started running Resolve 8 Lite for the first time... been using Color and a bit of DaVinci 8:8:8 back in the day.

I just loaded a ProRes clip and started testing. Two initial issues:

1. Video out (SDI & HDMI) playback is about 0.7 seconds behind the computer. If I hit play or stop it takes that long for the external monitors to catch up. Otherwise playback is smooth.

2. The scopes are choppy, with a refresh rate of about 4fps.

Is this normal behavior?

My setup:
OSX 10.6.8
Resolve Lite 8.2.2
Avid MC Color with latest 2.6.2 drivers
Decklink driver 9.5.3

Mac Pro 2009 octo 2.66 GHz, 16GB RAM
Quadro FX4800 GPU (slot 1)
GT120 GUI (slot 2)
Decklink Extreme HD 3D+
ATTO 4Gb fiber to Avid Unity 4.2.4

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Initial setup: video lag and scopes refresh rate
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:48:03 am

Yep. Scopes work off gpu, will greatly hinder performance. Best to use external scopes. The gpu you're using is also fairly weak.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 2, 2012 at 5:14:06 pm

Upgrade to 9

0 effect scopes :)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Aug 3, 2012 at 4:46:40 am

Well I have a 1 second response delay, an extra 0.7 seconds to the video out, and the scopes at 4fps (no matter if it's just one scope or all of them maximized).
This is with 1 layer, 1080/24p, and 1 primary node. 250MB/s RAID.

I know that the FX4800 isn't the fastest CUDA GPU, but some how I feel that something's way off.

I'd love to move to Resolve 9, just that it requires Lion and that means I'll have to throw away my $30,000 SAN... ain't happening just yet.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Aug 4, 2012 at 2:50:31 am

With just one 4800 you are going to struggle for real time. If, based on GPU and resolution etc etc, you don't get real time playback the latency between the UI and SDI out will be longer than normal. It is quite normal to have some latency as there is processing and buffering to ensure smooth playback but it will always be longer if your system cant play in real time.

If you are grading, use the SDI monitor, or in your case the HDMI.

We have a number of v9 beta colorists who have not upgraded to Lion and are still using Snow Leopard with no known issues. Its worth backup up your project database and trying v9. There are lots of speed improvements in v9.

In v9, try setting the video monitoring option to use the 'Optimized display mode' and the image scaling to Bilinear (be sure to set this one back to sharper filter before you render).

The scopes in v9 are also a lot better and use less CPU resources.
Peter

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Aug 4, 2012 at 4:39:18 am

The video latency issue was caused by the output setting, which was 1080/24PsF. As soon as I switched to 1080/60i the latency disappeared.
We use a Sony HD broadcast CRT with an HD-SDI input, the only resolutions it supports are 1080/60i, 1080/24PsF and 720/60p.

After getting the same advice from DaVinci support (helpful guys), I upgraded to v9. The scopes are definitely nicer but are still around 4fps. Time to revisit ScopeBox...

I'm just trying to understand, are the built-in scopes smooth for anyone, or that's how they're designed?

Might get a GeForce 570 once we upgrade to Lion. For now I'm just starting to acclimate to Resolve after years with Color and Avid Symphony...

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 28, 2012 at 3:58:34 am

I have the same problem with my set-up.
Its a Mac Pro 2.93 w/ATI 5770 GUI.
CUBIX/Quadro4000(2)/ROCKET/Decklink Extreme 3D.
Flanders LM 2461w SDI from Decklink.
Is my lag attributed by the ATI display card or a setting in Decklink?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]