FORUMS: list search recent posts

R3D Files and Transitions (slow playback w/rocket)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Hall
R3D Files and Transitions (slow playback w/rocket)
on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:10:07 pm

I'm having some very slow playback issues on a Red Rocket Mac Resolve System when it comes to transitions. Basically I can playback R3D files in real-time at Full Rez Premium (or half rez premium for new epic 5K footage) in resolve, but when I hit a transition (ie cross dissolve, fade to color, etc), the playback drops from real-time and gets pretty jerky (I've seen it go down to 3fps at full rez premium, and about 16fps at half rez good). Anyone have any ideas what the culprit is here. Video card? Processor speed (only 8 core, not 12)? Cubix PCI lanes? VRAM on GTX285 cards (only 1.5gb each now, have 2xGTX580's on the way w/3gb each)? Would love to know how Resolve handles transitions specifically, does it use Cuda or CPU to process? Here's the complete system specs below, any ideas would be REALLY Appreciated! Thanks all.

MacPro 2009 Nehalem 2x2.26 8 core
24gb RAM
Slot 1 - GTX120 (GUI)
Slot 2 - Cubix
Slot 3 - Decklink 3D extreme
Slot 4 - RocketRaid 4322 (attached to 8 drive SAS enclosure, 500MB/s speed read/write)

Cubix
Slot 1 - GTX 285 (1gb VRAM)
Slot 2 - GTX 285 (1gb VRAM)
Slot 3 - Red Rocket
Slot 4 - empty

Chris Hall
Colorist - Basher Films
Pasadena, CA

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
Re: R3D Files and Transitions (slow playback w/rocket)
on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:00:14 am

Have you tried Render Cache Dissolves mode?

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Chris Hall
on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:55:49 am

yes, have tried that, it does work. Was hoping that I could avoid that though (very transition heavy project, and its been requiring reconforms constantly as well, so I lose all my renders when I head to the conform page, clients get a bit antsy when that happens and they have to wait around for it again). Any thoughts on where the bottleneck might be?

Chris Hall
Colorist - Basher Films
Pasadena, CA

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Jul 12, 2012 at 6:58:32 am

Hi, just to verify, you have two streams of r3d files and one Red Rocket to decode them and provide the images to the GPUs for applying the dissolve. If this is the case, the one Rocket is the bottleneck.. its designed for one stream.
If you have a r3d file being dissolved with another file type it won't be the Rocket as the bottleneck. Then it may be GPU or disk speed, but hard to guess at this stage.

Peter

Return to posts index

Chris Hall
on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:58:24 pm

Correct Peter, two streams of r3d files playing together (dissolving between each other). So I guess its the fact that I only have one red rocket. Would really love to know if other people have experienced this? Would a 12 core system make a difference? (I'm wondering if a bit more CPU power would help put me over the top at half rez good at least).

Chris Hall
Colorist - Basher Films
Pasadena, CA

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Jul 14, 2012 at 1:27:06 am

If you have the Rocket installed all the decompression and debayer is via that Rocket. You could remove it and try 1/4 res good to see if you can get two streams during grading, set this back to 1/2 good for render.

Peter

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:12:47 am

I would not suggest anyone render at half-good. This really undermines the potential quality Epic can deliver. Render at Full Premium, work in as good a color space as you can.

The differences are quiet evident, especially after re-compression on air or for blu-ray/Itunes, when all those skipped lines will kill the compression's ability to be smooth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]