FORUMS: list search recent posts

What will it take for this computer to run Resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Einar Bjarni Davíðsson
What will it take for this computer to run Resolve?
on Jul 8, 2012 at 5:45:01 pm

My Mac Pro is no spring chicken, a 2009 model with

CPU: 2 x 2.26 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
RAM: 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB

And it's feeling more than a tad sluggish when running a busy project in Premiere/AE CS5.5. Before I upgrade to CS6 I was hoping to give it a little more oomph. The RAM seems the obvious candidate for update, but I was also looking towards running DaVinci Resolve at some point, which I believes benefits most from a good GPU - if not straight out requires it (a specific sort of graphics card, or what?).

What are my options, and the best course of action? Do the Adobe products benefit much from added RAM? Will I never be able to properly run Resolve on this computer? I'm very much in the dark when it comes to hardware, so any help is much appreciated.

PS: The planned budget for this is pretty elastic, but short of a brand new computer.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
Re: What will it take for this computer to run Resolve?
on Jul 8, 2012 at 8:08:00 pm

I recently doubled my ram from 16 to 32 gb and I found that especially cs6 benefits a lot from it! So that would be a wise choice.

For Davinci you gonna need an extra card that does the cuda processing. Please check out their config guide for various options. Besides the recommended cards you can also try a geforce card, such as the gtx 580, but it does involve some extra fiddling with powercables and a few edits in your mac system to make it work. Do a search on that here and you can read a lot of posts on the topic.

Good luck!

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]