FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best workflow for re-using a grade

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Scott
Best workflow for re-using a grade
on Jul 5, 2012 at 9:47:25 am

Hi
I'm new to Resolve and am wondering if someone could please suggest the best workflow for the job I'm currently doing please.
I'm cutting short interviews from multiple, people each is in a different location so has a different grade. Now the producer has announced that each person did a second item at the same time and these have been edited and now need grading. I'd like to reuse the grade from the first time round for each person.
I'm wondering if its simple to save out the grades from each interview with the person's name and then apply those grades to a new project - is this do-able? Or should I be adopting a different approach? All advice most welcome!
Thanks

David Scott,
Senior Editor,
GOD TV (UK)

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Best workflow for re-using a grade
on Jul 5, 2012 at 10:09:09 am

Sure thing, its doable in multiple ways.
You can for example use Color trace and do it on a timeline level.
You can also grab stills into your Powergrades and then assign them to memories.
Or you just stay on the Gallery page , advance a shot with the panel and middle click on the look to copy it to the shot.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Jul 5, 2012 at 10:46:42 am

I never tried color trace, but I do work with the still galleries and I find them very easy to work with. Hint, in your previous project you can 'grab all stills from first/middle frame' which will load a still for every shot in your timeline. In the gallery page of your new project these are accessible.

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

David Scott
on Jul 5, 2012 at 11:50:17 am

Great advice thanks guys!
So I've worked out "saving all stills", and now I'm in the new project gallery page. I right click and there is an import option (presume that's what I want?) but the problem is that I don't know where to import the stills from?! How do I work out where they are saved?!

David Scott,
Senior Editor,
GOD TV (UK)

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Jul 5, 2012 at 12:21:40 pm

right click on the viewer
‘Grab All Stills from Middle Frame’
you'll then have all your grades in the stills tab.

Anyway for these things I like to create a new still page, but right click at the current still tab, and click Add Still Page

Return to posts index

David Scott
on Jul 5, 2012 at 1:00:51 pm

Thanks for the reply Laco, my problem is that when I'm in a new project, I don't know how to add the "stills" from a previous project... I'm presuming its Right Click/Import, on the stills tab of the Gallery page, but I don't know where the previously saved stills are stored! How do I find them?

David Scott,
Senior Editor,
GOD TV (UK)

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Jul 5, 2012 at 1:04:32 pm

By going to the gallery page and select your previous project from the browserwindow in the top-left.

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

David Scott
on Jul 5, 2012 at 1:08:44 pm

How brilliantly simple - when you know!
Thanks everyone for your help on this, I'm falling more in love with Resolve the more I learn!

David Scott,
Senior Editor,
GOD TV (UK)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]