FORUMS: list search recent posts

which system would you choose?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Baudry
which system would you choose?
on Jun 28, 2012 at 9:01:12 am

Hello, could you help me with a difficult choice?

I would like to get a new resolve station for 2-3000$ (without monitor and panel)

I could go on a macbookpro retina with an utrascope 3D plugged to my monitor and external storage on raid 0. I like a lot the fact that it s handy and light, but i m not sure my clients would appreciate that much...
I can go on a pc, which has the advantage to cost less and to run also scratch which I use also sometimes.
I can go on a macpro, which I have always used but the price is high, probably to high for my budget.

What would you do if you had to choose today?

Thanx a lot for your precious advices

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
Re: which system would you choose?
on Jun 28, 2012 at 10:29:09 am

I had exactly the same budget a month ago and I choose to build a dual bootable hackintosh. Not that I dont like windows, but I still want to serve clients that demand pro res or a finish in fcp. Another option is buy a pc and a
Mac mini.

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

David Baudry
on Jun 28, 2012 at 10:55:34 am

Thanx!
which PC did you build (configuration)? Are you happy with it?
I ll probably go with an only pc solution since I have macs already.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Jun 28, 2012 at 12:09:48 pm

Well, if you already got a mac to help you with side tasks, I definetely recommend the pc, concerning your budget!

My build:
Asus p9x79 deluxe motherboard, i7 3930k processor, 32 gb ram, gtx 560 ti 2gb, firewire 800 card, 850 watt cooler, 4 tb raid 0, 120 gb ssd.

Im upgrading to 2 gtx 580's soon.
Total price is around 2000 euros. I also have to a decklink card in the future.

Return to posts index

David Baudry
on Jun 28, 2012 at 1:09:51 pm

ok i think i ll do the same, it s competitive. And for the monitor, what do you have, how do you calibrate and how do you link to your computer?

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Jun 28, 2012 at 1:36:11 pm

One little note to my build... I'm not shure if I bought the right power supply. I think when going with 2 GTX 580's I might have to get a bigger one, like 1000 watts. Doesn't really make that much price difference, unless you are like me and you get stuck with 2 psu's...

One other thing. The reason why I want to go with 2 GTX 580's has also to do with other software I'm using, like CS6 for example. Other software (also Scratch) utilize only one GPU and always the 'first' one in the system, the one that's connected to your monitors. If I am wrong about this, plaese correct me, but suggested that I'm not, I choose to have a decent workhorse as GUI card as well. For Resolve only system you could go with less, like the recommended quadro 600 card.

I actually haven't bought a display yet. But I'm thinking in a 24" lcd. I recently had an offer for a JVC DT V24G11 around 2500 euros. But I'm also considering a Flanders.

And calibration... I get a bit lost in the various companies and their websites. I hope to find a decent, affordable solution at next IBC in Amsterdam.

I would love to hear/read how your system is doing in the near future!

Regards

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jun 28, 2012 at 9:01:00 pm

For SDI/HDMI output from a PC, I would recommend the Blackmagic Ultrastudio SDI, it's a USB 3 box and works really well (I also have a Decklink 3D and now I'm considering selling it..)

For monitoring, Panasonic plasmas are a great value, especially the VT30 series. Just get someone to calibrate it, or learn to do it yourself.

Return to posts index

David Baudry
on Jun 30, 2012 at 10:54:00 am

thanx for your advice Timo, you think a VT30 would be better than a flander or an HP dreamcolor? which solution have you chosen to calibrate it?

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jun 29, 2012 at 8:42:47 pm

Hi Pepijn,

Question about your system. I have built a similar system and am not getting good performance. What type of footage have you played, and are you getting realtime? I have been playing RED Epic footage and can't get realtime (with or without a red rocket). I've tried all the RED debayer settings and still can't get 24fps.

I do have a Decklink Studio card in the system.. could that really cause any problems? Does it really matter what card is in what slot (As long as the Nvidia cards are in the x16 slots)?

If you have any ideas it would be very helpful. I am trying to do more testing to see what could be causing the system to only give me like 15-20fps playback (with 1 node of color correction).

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Jun 29, 2012 at 9:16:44 pm

Hi Peter,

Are you using windows as os? And what graphics cards are installed? Maybe you can give a list of your whole system?

About the blackmagic card, just try resolve without it and see if there's any difference.

I play play red realtime in half res good.

Good luck!
Pepijn

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jun 29, 2012 at 9:28:49 pm

Thanks. Yeah I can't get half res good to play realtime. I think something is setup wrong? I would be surprised that the decklink card could be causing the problem.. but maybe? Could the board be running out of PCI lanes? Here is what I have:

Windows 7 SP1 64bit
ASUS P9X79 WS board
Intel i7-3930k
Resolve Lite 8.2.1 beta 3
16GB DDR3-1600 ram
1000W Cooler Master PSU
Nvidia Quadro 600
Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 3gb
Decklink Studio 2
Internal Hardware RAID 0 (using Disk Speed Test I get Write 285 MB/sec and Read 270 MB/sec)

Any ideas why I can't get realtime playback? When I put in the RED rocket I had it in the last x8 PCI slot. In REDCINE-X the footage plays back realtime in full quality.. which is weird.

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Jun 30, 2012 at 11:22:29 am

Ok, welcome into the world of my vague memory.... But I read somewhere, maybe even on this forum, that the decklink card don't work well with this motherboard. But even without this vague memory it's worthy to track down the problem and take out the card to see what happens.

Your system looks fine to me, should be a fast machine.

You can also run a program called geekbench, which benchmarks your system and gives it a score. It's fee for 32 bit, but 64 bit is 12,99. What I like about it is that it's a nice reference when you are configuring and testing your system. My score, overclocked, is around 25.000 points. If your system works well it will probably be around 15.000 to 18.000 with no overclock, 64 bit geekbench.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Jun 30, 2012 at 11:27:17 am

maybe this has to do anything with it?

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/supportnotes/supportnote/?s...

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jun 30, 2012 at 5:14:23 pm

Thanks for the great info. I looked at this support note and not sure if it applies. The board we have has a different chipset (X79). Also when I built the system I had installed the latest BIOS from Asus.

I will try without the Decklink card. I'm just surprised that a 1x PCI card could cause the system to slow down that much.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jun 30, 2012 at 1:11:18 pm

I think it's the Decklink studio card that's slowing up your machine. If you can get hold of the USB3 output card recommended in the config guide, try that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]