FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why are the color wheels so sensitive?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Halper
Why are the color wheels so sensitive?
on Jun 26, 2012 at 7:38:43 am

Why are the color wheels in the 3-Way Color Correction panel so sensitive? The slightest budge makes a drastic change in the image. The cursor is still basically in the middle, yet the color changes a lot. This makes it very difficult to dial in the right color. I'm coming from Apple Color and you'd have to move the cursor pretty far to get the same extreme changes that Resolve makes with the slightest movement. And you could also hold down Option (I think that's what it was?) to slow down the movement for more precise adjustments. Is there any way to modify this or is it something that's going to be fixed?

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
Re: Why are the color wheels so sensitive?
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:09:52 pm

what kind of footage are you working with?
what kind of panel do you use?

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:02:39 pm

The files are ProRes HQ. I believe originally shot with 5D for this particular project, but I notice the same thing with Red R3Ds. It's not as pronounced, but it still seems the controls are overly sensitive. This issue is primarily with a mouse, but also with a surface. The cursor hardly moves on the screen and the color changes a lot. This doesn't happen with Apple Color with the same footage.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:52:22 pm

[Mike Halper] "it still seems the controls are overly sensitive. This issue is primarily with a mouse, but also with a surface. "

Have you tried:

Control Panel
These controls set the sensitivity of the primary grading controls for Lift, Gamma and Gain balance
and master, the Cursor trackball offset and master, and also the Hue, Saturation, and Luminance
qualifiers.

jP{o>

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Jun 26, 2012 at 11:29:22 pm

Yes, but that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the fact that you move the cursor just a tiny bit to have a huge affect. I've never needed to move it more than a millimeter or two on the screen to get the desired change, yet there's the huge 2-inch diameter color wheel. It's too sensitive, unless I'm doing something completely wrong.

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Jun 27, 2012 at 12:07:18 am

Are you using a control surface like the Artist Color or Tangent Wave? Or are you just using a mouse? If you are just using a mouse what kind and how is the sensitivity set in the control panel?

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Jun 27, 2012 at 12:11:33 am

I have a Tangent Element and an Apple Mighty Mouse. However, it's not an issue with those. It's the fact that you don't have to move the cursor on the screen far before it makes a huge difference. Is it just me? Does everyone end up with the cursors in the color wheel in the middle or as far as near to the edge, or relatively almost centered no matter what?

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:28:01 am

I'm probably not being clear on describing my issue. I'll re-explain.

I primarily use a control surface (Tangent Element), but also use the mouse in instances when the Element isn't available or I'm off site without the Element.

With the Element everything is great. I can make very subtle adjustments.

With the mouse it's very very difficult to make small changes. When you click on the crosshairs/cursor on the color wheel and drag, the slightest movement makes a huge change in the color of the image, but the crosshairs/cursor hardly moves.

The crosshairs/cursor hardly moves with the Element as well, but at least you need to make many spins of the rollers to make the same adjustments.

It was suggested to change the mouse sensitivity (actually tracking), but then the mouse would be almost unusable for the rest of the app or the OS.

In both cases it seems the crosshairs/cursor move too little for the change you get in the image, or the change in the color is too sensitive to the movement of the crosshairs/cursor. It's like the scale of the color wheel is not designed or programmed very well.

So is there a way to adjust the scale of the color wheels so I can move the crosshairs/cursor further before a big change is made?

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:52:26 am

hi!

i do understand your issue. sometimes it would really makes sense to scale the color wheels offset, just to understand quicker in what direction the colors were pushed. but on the other hand it's not big deal for me as i seldom use the 3colortab.

but as i said, when opening older projects it would be easier to recognize what i was doing then, colorwheelwise...

regards
andy

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Jun 27, 2012 at 1:51:17 pm

Its a lot easier to adjust in Resolve v9. Available end July.

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Jun 27, 2012 at 7:13:25 pm

That's good to hear. Thanks for that bit of info. Definitely looking forward to version 9.

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Jun 27, 2012 at 7:48:02 pm

oh my gosh, END of july!?

well, i am waiting and looking forward to it :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]