FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is a 6 core Mac pro enough.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Herrick
Is a 6 core Mac pro enough.
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:55:10 am

I'm upgrading to a new macpro for a reality show shot on XD cam HD. Offline is FCP and grading in davinci.

I'm planning to get the 6 core 3.33Ghz Mac Pro with 24GB (6x4GB) RAM a quadro 4000 for GUI and a GTX 580 and an external power supply for the 580.

My question is, will the 6 core be enough CPU power for HD grading?

And for bonus points... If I go for the GTX 570 will the Mac pro have enough power for both the gtx570 and the GTX 570?

Thanks.

Marcus Herrick
Freelance Editor / Grader

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Is a 6 core Mac pro enough.
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:00:48 pm

[Marcus Herrick] "My question is, will the 6 core be enough CPU power for HD grading?"

The CPU cores are primarily accessed for the User Interface and codec processing. The image values for correction are computed on the GPU/CUDA cores provided by your GPU array. In that respect, unless you are trying to deBayer RAW media, the number of cores starts to become irrelevant.

In your case, multiple GPUs will help only in the instance where you start building complex node trees with other processes over-layered, such as noise reduction, blurring, and alpha channel compositing. I have seen YouTube tutorials that feature power-supply splitting to run multiple GPUs, but whether something that is technically possible is advisable depends on how long you want your equipment to last. Also, if you intend to house all your GPUs in the chassis, eventually you will run into a) cooling issues, and b) the reality that the #3 and #4 PCIe slots are not x16-lane.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:04:42 am

Further to Josephs comments, Resolve now does the debayer in GPU for all bayer formats that we support with the exception of RED r3d files which are in CPU.

The decompression of ProRes and other similar formats, and their compression at render, is performed in CPU so if you plan on using ProRes or r3d files, 6 Cores will work but will limit your real time performance.
Peter

Return to posts index

Eric Holzapfel
on Aug 18, 2012 at 10:32:35 pm

Hello Marcus,

this question is not related to the camera and davinci - is your face-light plug-in for FCP (7)
still available?

Just saw a nice tutorial on color grading, and the writer mention your plug-in

Thanks,

Eric

Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop

Return to posts index

Marcus Herrick
on Aug 19, 2012 at 3:50:04 am

They're still up on my website which is embarrassingly un updated. http://Www.haiku.com.au just click the plug ins link.

Cheers

Marcus

Marcus Herrick
Freelance Editor / Grader

Return to posts index

Eric Holzapfel
on Aug 20, 2012 at 4:03:13 pm

Thanks Marcus, will check!

Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>