FORUMS: list search recent posts

To DIY color correct or not. That is the question.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian klassen
To DIY color correct or not. That is the question.
on May 25, 2012 at 12:41:39 am

Hi all:

I'm shooting a lot of video footage with my 7D and am wondering whether I should color correct it myself or leave that to professionals. Specifically, does it make any sense to achieve minimum standards in terms of hardware (gpu, monitor, etc.) and not have a conducive correcting environment (neutral colors, no natural light, etc.). It seems like its an all or nothing thing. Color correcting in non-pristine circumstances being a waste of time given that any output will be inherently deficient. Am I right, or should I beef up my gpu, use my off the rack monitor and learn all I can? My projects are self-motivated. I'd like to eventually take on and complete industry-quality projects. Right now I could get by with a gpu and power supply upgrade and use Resolve. Just wondering if I should put time, energy and money in other areas, and leave color correction to the pros.

Thanks for your opinions.

Brian

Return to posts index

Mathieu Marano
Re: To DIY color correct or not. That is the question.
on May 26, 2012 at 11:43:34 am

Well, if you think you would have fun doing it go ahead. Give it a shot and if it really doesn't get where you want ask for help. If you really feel it's a pain after trying to do it yourself just hire somebody, it's event gonna be easier for you to communicate what you want once you've played with the tools.

Mathieu Marano
offline/online editor - motion graphics - Post-prod director - DaVinci Resolve operator
http://www.ilovehue.net

Administrator of the Montreal Final Cut User Group
http://www.finalcutmtl.org

Return to posts index

brian klassen
on May 27, 2012 at 11:45:34 am

Thanks for the response

I guess I'm wondering whether I would actually make matters worse (lost time and energy, inferior/unusable output) by correcting with a consumer grade monitor in a non-neutral room that has lots of natural light.

I'm shooting a short this summer and would love to enter it in some film festivals. Am I doing the film a disservice and reducing the chances of getting it into festivals by correcting it myself in a non-industry environment?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 28, 2012 at 8:51:03 pm

[brian klassen] "I guess I'm wondering whether I would actually make matters worse (lost time and energy, inferior/unusable output) by correcting with a consumer grade monitor in a non-neutral room that has lots of natural light."

You already know the answer to this, grasshopper. Life is short.

Let's say I wanted to become a beer-taster (yes, yes I do...) but I didn't really know much about beer (wrong), but it was only my own beer that I was judging, plus at the same time I was also chowing down on the hottest Pad Thai in the world chased by "Texas Inferno" chili. That's about the same circumstances as the consumer grade monitor in a totally uncontrolled (and wrong color temperature depending on your latitude, because D65 isn't "natural light") room.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

brian klassen
on May 29, 2012 at 12:40:40 am

hmmmm. thanks JPo

You're right. I suspected as much. I guess the DSLR I have is kind of worthless. While I'm getting better at proper exposure, no one is so good as not needing to color correct. It looks like I gotta spend more money. (Or do something else with my life.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]