FORUMS: list search recent posts

DaVinchi with GetForce GTX 670

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aftab Asghar
DaVinchi with GetForce GTX 670
on May 10, 2012 at 6:35:32 pm

Hello,

I have a 12Core Mac Pro with 64GB ram and ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB card, I want to add a GPU card soon, so I can use Davinchi Resolve on this machine. Do you guys think Nvidia New GPU card: GetForce GTX 670 ($399) will be a good choice, to have real time 2K performance? I heard Adobe Mercury engine also uses GPU.

Please advice

Thanks
Aftab

Return to posts index

Gary Badgley
Re: DaVinchi with GetForce GTX 670
on May 10, 2012 at 8:55:01 pm

Go onto Adobe's site and they list the cards that will work with the mercury engine. As for Resolve, I can only suggest to check Blackmagic designs support page which discusses the configurations.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 11, 2012 at 1:37:20 am

My takeaway from a thread on the 680 in the main Resolve forum is that 600-series is not compatible with Mac -- and whether updating to Mountain Lion will get around that or not may be moot, as there was also an opinion expressed that the 600 series is not particularly well-suited for its CUDA characteristics, which are vital in Resolve. I underline vital. Resolve is not the same graphics engine as Adobe / FreddieMercury.

And the official configuration guide can't really go into the use of flashed cards for various reasons.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on May 30, 2012 at 1:52:30 am

The Kepler 600 series is not supported on OS X at all. This is an Apple & Nvidia issue. Hopefully eventually. Not sure how it will do on PC. I'm thinking of replacing a 285 I have in an HP with a 670...

As for a Mac based resolve. Your best compromise for CUDA processing, VRAM and power consumption is the EVGA GTX570 2.5GB with the MacVidCards firmware mod. There will be an issue with you using the 5870 with any Nvidia GPU installed in the Mac Pro... you will not have enough power or power connectors. Sadly you should loose the 5870 and get the 570 + nvidia GT120... or you can try what I did on my Mac Pro 112-core and just use the GTX 570 with NO separate GUI card. This is not a "supported" configuration, however, I get realtime performance with 24fps 1080 ProRes HQ. It is quite usable. But you will need the MacVidCards upgrade.... otherwise the card will run at basically half speed.

- Jonathon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]