FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions needed re compatible (compressed HD) codec for use between EDIUS & Resolve Lite (Windows)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Mees
Suggestions needed re compatible (compressed HD) codec for use between EDIUS & Resolve Lite (Windows)
on May 7, 2012 at 1:33:19 pm

Hi All

Finally seem to have wrangled a new PC for one of our EDIUS suites (not the greatest system ever built but it'll do for a stop gap - has a GTX560 for CUDA and a Quadro FX1500 for the GUI) ... anyway, am looking for suggestions on a compressed HD capture codec that may also be cross compatible with an AAF workflow to Resolve Lite.

The Edius system can support capture to Uncompressed, DVCPROHD, Canopus HQ/HQX, AVCIntra, XDCAM HD422/HD/EX and can target both AVI and MXF container formats. Looking at the Resolve for Windows 8.2 supported codec list I'm seeing explicit support for Canon EOS C300 MXF files, but not XDCAM HD422 (nor other general MPEG2 HD formats).

Could anyone confirm if any other flavour of XDCAM HD422/HD/EX and/or generic MPEG HD MXF file format will work ok in Resolve for Windows 8.2 or 8.2.1 (or for that matter, v9)?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Ps And a request for any official BMD folks who may be monitoring the forum, how about adding explicit (qualified) support for Grass Valley EDIUS workflows? It already has AAF export, it imports FCP XML too. Thx again.

Return to posts index

David Harry
Re: Suggestions needed re compatible (compressed HD) codec for use between EDIUS & Resolve Lite (Windows)
on May 10, 2012 at 12:26:03 pm

Hi Andy.

I think you are going to be a little stuck until either the next resolve or Edius 6.5 Either may have the necessary direct cross platform codecs to work off an EDL and not have to use a transcode through the AAF Edius output.

If you started off with certain DNxHD or ProRes footage, then this will work at present through a simple link from an EDL, but. The variations etc. in settings and the inability for Edius to process either codec at 10 Bit may be an issue, if you go back to Edius after Resolve. If you stay in Resolve at the end, then Edius only seeing 8 Bit on those codecs wont be an issue, as you will be treating Edius like a traditional off line editor in that respect.

It's a pity that HQ and HQX can't be used right now, in my experience they are the best 8 and 10 Bit codecs out of all the NLE intermediates. Maybe the new Resolve will open up to system codec based AVI formats, seeing as the PC platform is used more than MAC for NLE stuff etc. and AVI is synonymous with the PC platform. End of the day, AVI, MOV and MXF are only really containers in this instance.

Edius 6.5 is supposed to have a QT version of it's codecs, this at least should help in the future. Although I suspect you would like to just link direct to any codec/wrapper inside Resolve from an Edius EDL of a sequence/edit. Just as easily as Edius deals with multiformats. If you find any solutions in the mean time, could you let me know, I am just getting into resolve and would be really grateful.

Cheers,

Dave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]