FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode and frame number management questions

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jones
Timecode and frame number management questions
on May 1, 2012 at 6:08:26 pm

(Sorry, there is a bit of explanation before I get to my questions. I'm having trouble asking in a shorter way)

I have DPX files which started out as 16mm film (I have 1 folder of DPX for each of the 150 rolls of film) .

In the metadata I have the timecode and corresponding frame numbers.

I'm using Resolve to create the proxy ProRes files for editing in FCP7 - which I will then create an XML to send back to Resolve to grade.

When I render out I'm getting a nice ProRes file named for the corresponding frame number - for each filmed [take]

When I create the ProRes files the timecode metadata is transferring over from the DPX files. But the frame numbering is resetting to zero.

Meaning, when I bring the new ProRes file BACK into Resolve, the correct frame numbers no longer are represented in the START and END columns in the media pool. The timecode is okay. But the frame number have reset to zero.

For example: When the first DPX roll is in the the Media pool it would read like this:

The TC IN would be 19:03:32:02 START (frame number) 1646690

but after make a ProRes file for "take 1" from that roll and bring it back to resolve the new ProRes file would read like this in the media pool:

TC 19:03:32:02 START 0

Question 1:

Is there a way to retain the Frame Numbers in the meta data?

Question 2:

After I "split" in scene detection I get a nice list of the timecode and Frame Number IN-and_OUTs in the conform page. Is there a way to save that list to a file? So that I could print it out?

If you made it all the way to the bottom thanks for reading the long explanation! My head is spinning a bit with all this conforming stuff.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Timecode and frame number management questions
on May 2, 2012 at 6:28:28 pm

[Chris Jones] "Question 1:

Is there a way to retain the Frame Numbers in the meta data?"

No, but the TC as metadata is all you need in order to conform back to the DPX, frame number is irrelevant ( & relative) as the TC itself is embedded in both the QT and the DPX. The frame number in the QT is counted by the application as frames from the beginning of the clip. So wherever the clip starts that's where the count starts.

Don't know about question 2.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
Re: Timecode and frame number management questions
on May 2, 2012 at 11:23:41 pm

Ok thanks for your help! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]