FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDLink Pro DisplayPort 3D with 24" Apple LED Cinema display

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Sadwelkar
HDLink Pro DisplayPort 3D with 24" Apple LED Cinema display
on May 1, 2012 at 1:10:23 am

I wish there was a document somewhere which listed qualified monitors for use with the BM HDLink Pro DisplayPort and the DVI version.

I'm having no luck with a HDLink Pro DisplayPort 3D with 24" Apple LED Cinema display

This has been posted on the BM and DaVinci Resolve forums too, and I got some responses as well, but someone suggested this forum to post it as it is about config.

I'm trying this…

Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D feeding HD-SDI into a HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort, and HDLink Pro connected to a 24" Apple Cinema Display.

To connect the Apple Cinema Display I'm using a Gefen DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort female adapter. This one…

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=9931

I've done the firmware update on the HDLink Pro, power cycled after 5 sec.

Yet, I get no display on the Apple 24" LED Cinema Display.

The HD-SDI output of the HDLink Pro does show an output and can be seen on a Panasonic HD-SDI LCD pro monitor. So my FCP settings etc are fine. And the HDLink Pro seems to be working.

The Apple 24" LED Cinema Display itself works fine when connected to the MacPro directly.

The HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort and Gefen DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort female adapter are brand new bought from B&H in NY last week.

Does anyone use the HDLink Pro in this manner? With an Apple 24" LED Cinema display?

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: HDLink Pro DisplayPort 3D with 24" Apple LED Cinema display
on May 1, 2012 at 3:09:22 pm

[Neil Sadwelkar] "Does anyone use the HDLink Pro in this manner? With an Apple 24" LED Cinema display?"

You're not having much luck with this are you. My guess would be that this parade of interfaces (the question that springs to mind is "why?") is a lot of hand shaking and pin-to-pin assumptions that are unlikely to work. Especially with a graphics display like the Apple LED... seems very unsuitable for value judgement.

When I look at the Gefen description, I see a convoluted phrase -- Connect the DisplayPort connector to the computer source. Connect the Mini-DisplayPort cable from the display to the Mini DisplayPort connector on the adapter cable.

Seems to suggest there is another cable required from the monitor side?

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on May 2, 2012 at 3:44:38 am

The Apple Cinema display has a miniDisplayPort cable sticking out of it any way. And I'm connecting this into the female socket of the Gefen DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort.

The Gefen DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort seems to be just a passive adapter. I think the problem is that the HDLink Pro does not support the Apple LED Cinema Display. Something about RGB vs YUV.

I'm now going to try with other displays.

Neil Sadwelkar
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on May 2, 2012 at 6:33:13 pm

OK so I've confirmed this.
The Apple 24" and 27" LED Cinema Display (non Thunderbolt) do NOT work with the Blackmagic HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort.

What does with with this setup is a Benq 27" display.

It works perfectly fine when connected with the Blackmagic HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort via a DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort adapter and a mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter in series.

Bottom line...

Blackmagic HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort is not compatible with any Apple 24" and 27" LED Cinema Display (non Thunderbolt).

Maybe the Blackmagic HDLink Pro DVI may be compatible, but I haven't tried it.

Neil Sadwelkar
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on May 4, 2012 at 2:04:58 pm

I doubt if you can make apple display work with any other application like that exept apple devices.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]