FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Badgley
Workflow
on Apr 23, 2012 at 8:57:15 pm

When I first viewed DaVinci Lite I fell in love. Now I'm having relationship problems. I edit in Vegas which renders an xmf file. This does not import into Davinci. I think I may be able to render into AVC/Mpeg4. But I'm not sure whether this imports into Davinci.

My workflow where I can import is to transcode my xmf files into Mpeg4 using Handbrake and then further transcode using 5d2rgb which gives me a Prores422 which I can import into Davinci.

My other workflow is to transfer clips from my camera which has a AVCHD codec and produces mts files. These can then be transcoded using just 5d2rgb to the Prores422 which Davinci imports. Are you still with me? For me it feels like I have been drinking but not have had a drink. I digress.

So, here is my question. I can do my editing in Sony VEGAS and then transcode using Handbrake and then 5d2rgb and then import into Davinci but this would be on a completely rendered video, and if I make a color correction to one scene would it not use the same color correction parameters and change all the scenes to these parameters which I may not like?

My alternative would be to take the orignal mts files from my camera trancode them using 5d2rgb into prores422 and then import the separate clips and color grade them one at a time thus assuring that I would be happy with each clip. Would this alternative be the preferred method.

I hope you followed all this, and if you have an alternative workflow please share.

gary

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Workflow
on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:34:28 pm

Alternative workflow 1:

Edit in premiere, export an FCP7 XML, bring that into DaVinci... works just fine.

Alternative workflow 2:

Edit in Avid, export AAF, bring that into DaVinci... works just fine.

Alternative workflow 3:

Export a self contained file out of Vegas, in a container/codec that resolve supports. Export an edl. Use the conform to edl function to break up the self contained file in Resolve into clips that you can grade individually.

In term of performance and functionality, I think options 1 & 2 are preferable.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Gary Badgley
on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:35:24 pm

Hi Juan, just to be clear. The codec container out of Vegas is edl?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:15:34 pm

[Gary Badgley] "The codec container out of Vegas is edl?"

No the codec should be something compatible with Resolve, like ProRes or any of the others listed on their website white paper. Go to the BMD website and drill down to Resolve support.

An edl is an Edit Decision List (ie CMX3600) that is a text file describing the source/record ins/outs used to compose the final project. Resolve can use and edl to "cut up" a "baked" Quicktime of the final project so you can make corrections in a similar fashion to having the original clips. There is also a "scene detector" that can be used to create "notches" or "event markers" on the timeline.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 24, 2012 at 12:38:05 am

What JO said. Thanks Joseph.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Gary Badgley
on Apr 24, 2012 at 2:50:46 pm

Okay, thanks for the input. Then, as I see it checking the list, there is no listing for AVCHD which is the codec that my camera produces. After editing in Sony it saves the edited clips as a .veg extension which I would think just adds Sony's extension, but wouldn't change the codec. Resolve will not import this codec, so I believe the only way I can use Resolve would be to transcode these clips. 5d2rgb does this and produces a Proress 422 codec. Thanks again for the input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]