FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve to Avid

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kamil Wierzbicki
Resolve to Avid
on May 27, 2016 at 6:47:25 pm

Hello all,

I am a student studying post production at university. As of now i have finished editing on premiere cc and have transferred it to davinci resolve. The grade has been completed and my next task is to transfer the graded piece into Avid. The only problem here is i have no idea how to do this.

I have used the MXF OP-Atom format and DNxHD 1080p 220/ as this is what my brief says is needed but i do not know how to start the process and get it into avid.

Any help is appreciated, i have only been learning these programs for only a few weeks.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Resolve to Avid
on May 27, 2016 at 10:42:59 pm

[Kamil Wierzbicki] "next task is to transfer the graded piece into Avid."

This will be interesting...

One major item to keep in mind with the AVID file management workflow is that although there is a somewhat "externalized" strategy available with AMA, Media Composer is always going to be happier with its source files in a [Media Drive]:Avid MediaFiles/MXF/[folder number] hierarchy so that it can build a media database (.mdb) file to bring it within the application's orthodoxy. You can export a new AAF file describing the Resolve timeline, and as long as your graded media conforms with the filepath that will be associated with the exported AAF, you shouldn't have too much difficulty importing that AAF file into Media Composer and getting a complete timeline. Be aware that filters indigenous to various software and manufacturers are not likely to make the trip intact.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 28, 2016 at 4:21:48 pm

As Joe said, filters and extra fun stuff might need a different workflow, but the basic workflow would be...

On your deliver page in Resolve, select the Avid Round trip setting. This will give you a default Avid MXF media preset. You can change the actual codec to 220 if that is what you want to deliver, and that isn't what the preset is set to.

from there, tell Resolve to output you files into the correct file path. (you can do this after the fact as well, but it is just as easy to do it now)

What ever you use for your Avid Media drive, point resolves output to that drive, and have it place the files into a folder called something like 777
(just use numbers)

Once your output is done, you will need to create a new aaf file for Avid to read. Go back to your edit page, with your timeline open, and do a Timeline export new AAF command. (Its in there somewhere) Take note of where you save this aaf to, as Resolve has also created an aaf as part of the round trip function, but that list is less reliable, especially since you didn't start in Avid.

Launch Avid, and you should see a database being built for 777 (if your file structure was done correctly)

Create a project at the proper frame rate and size, create a bin, and import your aaf from the "export new aaf" step.

Hopefully at this point you have a timeline with all your media colored and in tact. Personally, at this point, i would then go rename 777 to be a folder named after the project. (Project A Color from Resolve)

If you used filters that were not being baked into your avid output, you may need to export a flattened quicktime movie into Avid, or you could still call up your Avid round trip workflow, but change the button up top that says individual clips to Single file. I think that will bake in any funky filters you might be using into the mxf media clip.

You could then use an aaf list to get Avid to break up that flattend quicktime, back into the edit points, so that your timeline still represents all the individual edits, but you will lose any ability to put handles into your Resolve output by doing it this way. The procedure to get Avid to automatically break up the edit points is another topic all together.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Kamil Wierzbicki
on May 28, 2016 at 10:39:42 pm

Thank you both for your reply,

I have the sequence in the timeline and i can see clips in the bin, the only thing now is that it says media offline and also it comes up with a error code PMM_insufficient media..

I have tried to follow the instructions provided closely but as a 'newbie' i think i am overlooking something here, as my deadline is on the 3rd of June i am really stressing out here.

Is it possible if someone could Skype call with me or team viewer and you could check up on my system?
Sorry if this is a big ask but again, i have very little experience with these programs and the linking etc etc.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 29, 2016 at 4:00:03 pm

Before we get into creative cow tech support, answer these questions please.

1 - Did you create Media for Avid using the round trip setting in resolve?

2- Did you create a new aaf using resolve?

3- What is the exact folder structure (copy and paste it if you have to) that your Avid media is living in.

4- Did you successfully get Avid to create a database for the media.
Do you see the database in the media folder? (The msmMMOB file)

5- Is this folder still called 777 or did you name it something else?

6- Have you dragged that msmMMOB file into an empty bin in your project? (is that media online?)

7-Do you have a folder called 1 in that Avid MediaFiles/MXF area?

8-Inside Avid, create a new title, anything, and have Avid create it onto the same drive that your media is living.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Kamil Wierzbicki
on May 31, 2016 at 2:36:54 pm

Ok so i have gone through each and every one of the steps 3,4 times over, i asked two students from my class to help and they have no idea whats wrong with my project. I have done the round trip, i have made the aaf.

The folder is is the correct path named 7777... No database was created.
I have tried everything and still no hope, deadline is on friday :(

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 31, 2016 at 10:42:43 pm

you didn't answer questions 3, 7 or 8.

If you are not getting a database, it is quite often due to a folder naming issue. Post a screen shot of your folder name/structure.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Kamil Wierzbicki
on Jun 1, 2016 at 12:50:06 am

Here is the screenshot: screenshot2016-06-01at00.51.27.png

I have created a project and saved it to where the media is living.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 1, 2016 at 2:08:38 am

Are you using your system drive for all your avid media?

Not a great idea, but i'm assuming those other folders contain media that is being seen by Avid, in the projects they were originally used for?

Do you have another hard drive you can put your media on? You really should not use your system drive.

try this:
Take the folder called 1 and rename it to 2.
go into Avid and create a title tool clip and render it to your drive.
This should make a new 1 folder, and create a database in it.

If it does, great, if it doesn't, then you might have a permissions problem on one of those folders inside the structure.

Avid can be told to ignore the boot drive, but again, if those other folders are working, i'm guessing that isn't the problem.

If it creates a 1 folder, copy all the mxf media from 7777 into that 1 folder.
Do not copy the two aafs or any other files that are there (that text clipping file)

Delete the data base from the 1 folder, and relaunch Avid.

Does it rebuild the database?

When you imported your aaf, you brought in the one with the word Resolve in the title correct? not the one with the large string of numbers.

One last check to make sure the media is good would be to bring that folder back into Resolve and make sure a couple of the clips are playing correctly.

I've never had issues with a Resolve round trip setting for the creation of media, but i work on a PC as well, so cant promise Resolve didn't do something.

Usually if there was a problem with the media, Avid would choke and give you warnings while it was scanning the drive....

Glenn

Return to posts index

Kamil Wierzbicki
on Jun 5, 2016 at 4:04:00 pm

Thank you to everyone who helped me, after going through many options what i did was reinstall avid and start the process from the beginning. I managed to do everything first time by following everyones help. Media and everything else was flawless no error codes or media offline or anything of the sort. I don't know what the problem was but it look like it fixed it.
Thank you all again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]