FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking Media Confusion

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Tyler Bailey
Relinking Media Confusion
on May 25, 2016 at 3:09:11 am

Hi! I've got a strange problem.

So I received an .xml that I've imported into a davinci timeline. It pulls up on the timeline all !red! as expected.
All the clip names are visible. The project was shot on multiple DSLR CF cards (rolls 1-5) all of which I have. Shot on the 5D to be specific.

Anyway.

I added the rolls to my media pool which automatically links back to the XML timeline. Except, it doesn't quite link properly. Some of my clips don't stay the same and get renamed and assigned to a whole new clip! For example, a clip name with MVI_0015 gets assigned to clip MVI_0001. Also, because it's a DSLR, there are multiple of the same clip name. So theres five clips named MVI_0001 / 0002 / 0003 and so forth. Is this causing a problem as well? It's weird because some of the clips with the name will assign to the proper clip on the timeline but then in the same scene, a clip from a previous roll will assign to a clip and throw the whole scene out of proper sequence.

Is there a way to individually link a clip in the timeline to a clip in the media folders? Can I rename any of the clips in the XML timeline once I've imported it (but before any media has linked to it)? What am I doing wrong? I feel like there is something simple I can do but don't know what it is.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I hope all that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Karsten Fischer
Re: Relinking Media Confusion
on May 25, 2016 at 9:39:45 am

Yes. Select a clip in your timeline ans select the clip you want it linked to (or conformed to in Resolve lingo) in your media folder, right clip on either of those and select force conform.
----

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Relinking Media Confusion
on May 25, 2016 at 7:30:35 pm

a common problem with lower end cameras. I'm seeing it a lot with drone footage these days.

Cameras (and operators) that use the same naming convention day after day on a shoot are a huge problem in post.

If I get a card with clips called DJI_001, DJI_002 etc on Monday, and then on Tuesday they give me a card with what appears to be the same clips, (and all the same timecode I might add) I immediately copy the card to my raid, and rename the clips something unique.(DJI_05_10_16_001.mov for example) That then becomes the "master" of the file, to be backed up the same way other media from the project would be archived. Two months, weeks or years from now, if I was to ask you to differentiate the clips that were shot on different days, simply by looking at the name and timecode, you wouldn't be able to...so how do you expect the computer to do it?

DSLR footage with "generic" timecode should also be looked at for this same type of issue. If need be, assign time of day timecode to the clips.

Also in resolve you should see a little icon on the clip that is indicating that there are multiple matches for it,
(Yellow exclaimation mark?) and if you right click on it you should be able to select the one you want to use.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]