FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions on Resolve > Premiere dynamic link proxy work

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rhys Sherring
Questions on Resolve > Premiere dynamic link proxy work
on May 24, 2016 at 3:12:36 am

So I've just downloaded Resolve for the first time and now I'm doing the forum and youtube tutorial rounds. I've no experience in any of this.

So my usual editing platform is Premiere, and ive just been introduced to Avid this semester at Uni that I'm enjoying getting used to. The familiarity with Premiere is a comfort, especially with the dynamic linking and ease of working between After Effects and Audition straight out of my Premiere project with real time updates between the programs.

So I shot some stuff in 4K over the weekend using a blackmagic 4K camera and I'm trying to learn about proxys. So I did a test of importing 4k footage to Resolve, exporting individual clips in low res, importing those to premiere, doing an edit, exporting an AAF, and was successful in getting the cut imported to Resolve. If I did a full edit in premiere, with dynamic links of clips edited in After Effects and audio edits in Audition, would the AAF bring all of that information into resolve alright?

Another qusetion: later in the year I'm shooting a short film, but I'm just going to be shooting in HD because 4K would just be unnecessary. If I do the full edit in Premiere, what process would I go through to get the final cut into Resolve just to use it's colour correcting? Would I do the final export from there as well?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Questions on Resolve > Premiere dynamic link proxy work
on May 24, 2016 at 5:08:35 am

[Rhys Sherring] "So I shot some stuff in 4K over the weekend using a blackmagic 4K camera and I'm trying to learn about proxys. So I did a test of importing 4k footage to Resolve, exporting individual clips in low res, importing those to premiere, doing an edit, exporting an AAF, and was successful in getting the cut imported to Resolve. If I did a full edit in premiere, with dynamic links of clips edited in After Effects and audio edits in Audition, would the AAF bring all of that information into resolve alright? "
It depends, but generally no. Speed changes don't always survive the transition, and repositions can work but not always. Actual visual effects have to be done outside Resolve and then cut back in as part of the conforming process.

[Rhys Sherring] "Another qusetion: later in the year I'm shooting a short film, but I'm just going to be shooting in HD because 4K would just be unnecessary. If I do the full edit in Premiere, what process would I go through to get the final cut into Resolve just to use it's colour correcting? Would I do the final export from there as well? "
I would advise you to shoot in 4K and then do your decision-making (offline) cut in HD to save overhead, and then export an XML or AAF into Resolve and reconform from the original 4K files for the final. Some cameras (maybe even "most" cameras) only use a small part of the chip in HD, which changes focal lengths and creates a lot of issues. You're generally better off shooting in 4K and then transcoding later for the edit.

Workflow gets very complex and tricky for projects like this, and you would be well-served by doing a Google search or reading many past discussions on issues like that here. Bear in mind it's also possible to edit completely in Resolve. With each version, I think Resolve gets closer and closer to being a complete finishing program, and 12.5 has definitely gone in that direction.

Return to posts index

Rhys Sherring
on May 25, 2016 at 3:35:40 am

Thanks for the reply Marc, appreciate it.

So you believe there would possibly be a loss of various image qualities shooting in HD as opposed to 4k with the Blackmagic 4K since the camera is purpose built to primarily accommodate 4K shooting? I've not heard this thought before. I guess it would make sense.

I see what you mean with Resolve, it is indeed on its way to reaching the level Premiere and Avid are on. So far it looks like I might be able to proxy through Resolve to edit with Avid.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 25, 2016 at 5:55:31 am

[Rhys Sherring] "So you believe there would possibly be a loss of various image qualities shooting in HD as opposed to 4k with the Blackmagic 4K since the camera is purpose built to primarily accommodate 4K shooting? I've not heard this thought before. I guess it would make sense. "
Yes, that is true for a lot of 4K/5K/6K cameras. It's not a problem if you choose to shoot in 4K and then immediately transcode to HD, then use the HD material for the edit and for final color correction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]