FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Color Settings Issue

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Destynie Ellis
Export Color Settings Issue
on May 20, 2016 at 4:12:09 pm

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to DaVinci and have been very happy with it so far. However, recently I've discovered a difference in my exported videos (see the image below)

The left image is the export and the right is what is in DaVinci. The exported image is washed out and appears to not have any of the settings I changed in DaVinci. I'm thinking it's just a simple settings issue, but cannot figure it out.

If anyone has a solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Export Color Settings Issue
on May 24, 2016 at 2:16:48 pm

Simplest suggestion is to check the video range used for the export and/or how the imported video is being interpreted in the destination NLE.

Full Range RGB 0-100 IRE is interpreted in 10-bit depth to occupy 0-1023 while Linear 709 Video is ranged from 64-940. if these get mixed up (as they OFTEN do), the usual result is similar to what you are reporting.

its extremely obvious in a scope.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on May 27, 2016 at 1:16:02 pm

hey Joseph --this same issue is bugging me as well --Ok so i understood what you meant but where do you check all that at ?? - my general workflow is edit in premiere cc and color in DR then encode with Adobe media encoder.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

matt

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 27, 2016 at 10:52:14 pm

[Matt Stoltz] "where do you check all that at ?? "

Resolve allows you to pick between the two ranges (although the default is "Auto") both incoming and outgoing-- but I have noted that some NLEs don't scrutinize the incoming media necessarily, and sometimes it will assume that what went out is how its coming back in, which isn't always true. You could be editing an RGB codec in Premiere (or whatever) and one would think it would be fine to render in DNx or ProRes to come back, but the NLE might assign RGB ranging incorrectly to the now linearized media, since that is how the sequence was set up in the first place. Ive seen this both in Media Composer and Premiere, and FCP7 used to do it as well.

If you have a waveform/vectorscope available, either outboard or within the editor, the first telltale symptom is either clipped/crushed blacks or floating up around 10 IRE...

This isn't always fixable on the return trip. Some NLEs allow a range re-assignment, but not all, and the latter forces a re-render in Resolve picking the "other" option.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]