FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Nested Timelines

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Klassen
Export Nested Timelines
on May 16, 2016 at 9:45:44 pm

I need to send a timeline out to another production house, here's the problem:

I have a timeline with several clips that are nested. When I export the EDL/XML, none of the nested timelines are showing up. I tried exporting the project but that didn't change anything. Do I need to include an XML for every clip that's nested? That seems ridiculous.

Can someone explain how to do this?

Thanks,
Eric

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Klassen
CableLabs
Associate Media Engineer
Advanced Video Lab
4K : HDR : WCS : HFR : VR : AI

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Export Nested Timelines
on May 16, 2016 at 11:10:14 pm

have you tried an aaf? I used to send aafs from MC to Avid DS, and I'm pretty sure collapsed items would come across.

If you give them a copy of the project, there is no reason the collapse' clips won't come across. You are talking about collapse's correct? not mixdowns or anything like that.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 16, 2016 at 11:11:18 pm

Sorry...i thought i was in the Avid forum :) please disregard everything the idiot just typed.

Glenn

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 17, 2016 at 2:41:45 am

[Eric Klassen] "I have a timeline with several clips that are nested. When I export the EDL/XML, none of the nested timelines are showing up."

So you have a puzzle wrapped in a quandary, buried in an enigma.

What would be most straightforward to hand off would be a non-nested sequence, but at this point, I'm not sure what NLE is in play and how easy it might be to "unpack" the nested sequences so they reveal the primary clip path references unambiguously. The big stumbling block here is that each sequence has its own layer hierarchy and if a number of sequences are stacked over each other with clips built from Layer 1 upwards, than Resolve is not going to know where to put anything so they aren't trying to occupy the same location on the timeline.

In Final Cut Classic you can command- drag a sequence onto a timeline and essentially copy/paste (un-nest) the entire clip/media payload in situ where you release the button.. you could be re-building a non-nested original timeline and Resolve would not be unhappy about that.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Eric Klassen
on May 17, 2016 at 6:49:12 pm

Joseph thanks,
The NLE is being delivered for work in Resolve on their side. The issue is that the media needs to be nested in order for an animated wipe to work properly that's being generated with Resolve's keyframing. If the media is not nested, the animation doesn't work properly.

How about this:
What if I copied this whole project, then deleted everything but this timeline's media, and sent the whole project over? If that would work, how do I copy the whole project and what do I need to know? I'm pretty sure this can be done, but I've never done it before.

Thanks,
- Eric

Eric Klassen
CableLabs
Associate Media Engineer
Advanced Video Lab
4K : HDR : WCS : HFR : VR : AI

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 18, 2016 at 12:54:22 am

So are you going from Resolve to Resolve? If so and you just want the one timeline then save as (give it a new name) and in the save as version, delete all but the final timeline and then export the project.

That should be the easiest way to send between Resolves.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 18, 2016 at 3:41:15 pm

Should be as simple as Export... a drp.

That would be how I would back up a project(and expect it to stay intact) and I share Resolve projects with several editors now.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]