FORUMS: list search recent posts

DCI-P3 Measurement RCM vs. ACES

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Swen Linde
DCI-P3 Measurement RCM vs. ACES
on May 8, 2016 at 5:22:14 am

I try to find the best way of viewing and measuring for cinema grading in our facility. If we use ACES we are running into problems with measurement when working in DCI-P3 on a DCI capable Projector (Christie). Due to the fact that there is a different white point the internal scope, waveform will not show a neutral white will seeing neutral white on the screen. We see a reduced green level on the scopes, which makes sense to me.

Does anybody have a solution for this? How are dealing in your facility.
Is there any chance to set the scope, waveform to dci white?
Or do you work in D60 P3?

When working in RCM everything is aligned well. DCI P3 Timeline and DCI P3 Output shows a neutral white on the waveform.

Thanks in advance
Swen

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
Re: DCI-P3 Measurement RCM vs. ACES
on May 8, 2016 at 4:03:55 pm

Unless someone is requiring that you work in ACES, my suggestion is stay with DCI-P3 and avoid the problem at this point. Although it may be a poor man's grading monitor, the new iMac 27" 5K Retina with El Capitan lets you set the Viewer in DaVinci Resolve v12.5 to DCI-P3 which is what I'm doing.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 5K Retina 4GHz 32GB/4GB, URSA Mini 4.6K PL, Pegasus2 R6 24TB, Resolve Studio 12.5

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 9, 2016 at 5:56:35 am

I agree, ACES is not bulletproof. Its standards change all the time which equals buggy in my mind. There's many variations of P3 as well. The only thing that matters is rgb matrix, gamma, and white point.

For example, I make my own custom P3 matrix with corrected D65 white point and 2.2/2.4 gamma so that I can use any monitor in a regularly lit room with perfect dci output.

Return to posts index

Swen Linde
on May 9, 2016 at 8:30:46 pm

Thank you Rick & Chris. I know that there are a lot of problems with aces. In fact i like the behavior of aces in a creative way. With Resolve CM things work better in a technical way but i am not used to work with it right know. I understand your point. Using the P3 Gamut with a different white point does makes sense to me, but doesn't fit our Christy projector at the moment. Actually we are calibrated for P3 DCI and REC709. We are currently investigating to work on P3 D60/65 on our projector but that needs a bit of extra time and recalibration. All our Monitors Dolby and Sony X-300 are P3 DCI capable. So this should not be a problem for us. We had a chat with Omnitek today. It seems that there is a setting in our OTR 1001 to measure DCI P3 accurate. Hope that works after the suggested software update.

Best regards
Swen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]