FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Boost vs "Sat Vs Sat" Curve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alekasandr n.
Color Boost vs "Sat Vs Sat" Curve
on May 4, 2016 at 6:59:04 pm

Hi everyone,

According to manual Color Boost lets to increase or decrease saturation of regions of low saturation.
My question is why I can't achieve same result using "Sat Vs Sat" curve? I tried several times on a color wheel but never could achieve same result as I can achieve using Color Boost control.

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Color Boost vs "Sat Vs Sat" Curve
on May 4, 2016 at 7:28:29 pm

Color boost is the devil's work. That's why.

What are you trying to do? Sounds like you're comparing tools. Just use the tools that works best for what you are trying to achieve.

If you want to throw another method into the mix, try using the HSL keyer with only an 'S' (saturation) selection and manipulating that. I advise a soft selection.

Return to posts index

Alekasandr n.
on May 5, 2016 at 10:26:10 am

Toby,

I'm using DaVinci Resolve for about half a year and keep learning that many of Davinci's tools sometimes are very useful and not as simple as they might seem.

For example, recently I've discovered that Highlights and Shadows controls besides rising and lowering of highlights and shadows are incresing and dicreasing midtone contrast in areas applied too. Never used them before. But now I'm using them a lot! Probably I would never know it without testing on different greyscale and color charts, because the difference from let's say rgb curves is very subtle and decription in manual is quite vague sometimes:)

That's why I try to get as in-depth info about DaVinci's tools as I can.

I've never used Color Boost before cause I find that it makes the image too oversaturated, but maybe I'm applying it the wrong way?

Btw, DaVinci's HSL keyer is brilliant but it takes some time to make proper mask. So the more I can do in primary correction the better.

-respectfully
Aleksandr

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 4, 2016 at 7:40:55 pm

The software developers at BM and the original developers at DaVinci, have given us an entire pallet of tools that perform many similar functions that work in very different ways to achieve different results depending on the task at hand. Many of the tools have very subtle differences in their programmed behaviors, while other tools are fed less subtle and easier to interpret visually. If you spend the dough to get Alexis Van Hurkman's in-depth training from Ripple Training he takes you through virtually every tool in the Resolve toolset, and he explains and shows you how each of different tools is programmed to accomplish different tasks you may encounter in your role as colorist.

FYI, since Alexis writes the Resolve manual for Blackmagic, you'll have a hard time finding a better source of info about the toolset in Resolve.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 5, 2016 at 12:12:43 am

I love the fact that there are numerous ways to manipulate saturation. CB is often best for landscapes in my experience as it bring subtle things out of a scene without going "Chocolate Box". Indeed sometime I boost CB and drop Sat.

I find the behaviour similar to Vivid and Sat in Photoshop.

Return to posts index

Alekasandr n.
on May 5, 2016 at 9:55:31 am

Thanks, David!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]