FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image Sequence Name Properties

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samantha Bode
Image Sequence Name Properties
on May 3, 2016 at 1:52:18 am

We have millions of time-lapse still photos from about 8 different GoPros over the course of a year. We renamed all the GoPro JPGs, so that they would reflect individual characteristics like a date, a time stamp, as well as which camera they came from, but we also kept the file name provided by the GoPro. We did this, so that in the future, if we ever had to relink the project Premiere would not get confused as to which file it was looking for.

However, this poses a problem. We now cannot get Adobe Premiere or DaVinci Resolve to recognize these stills as image sequences. The only way is if we force them alphabetically in Adobe After Effects. We would like to be able to do the image sequences in DaVinci (less render time). How do we absolutely have to name the images in order to get DaVinci Resolve to recognize them as image sequences?

The files are currently named in the following fashion: CAMERA_ORIGINALFILENAME_DATE_TIME

Example: 02A_G0033000_20150926_0806

Any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Image Sequence Name Properties
on May 3, 2016 at 4:27:03 am

I have never dealt with JPG image sequences, but I have dealt with TIFF and DPX image sequences. What happens if you convert all the frames to identically-named DPX files and then try that?

In theory, as long as the files are numbered sequentially with the same prefix, like SCENE_101_000111, SCENE_101_000112, SCENE_101_000113 and so on, it will work. But JPG's are unusual for this kind of thing.

Return to posts index

Samantha Bode
on May 3, 2016 at 6:13:48 pm

Thanks for the response, Mark!

We tried converting all the files to DPX and then to TIF, still a no go. The original files, with the original names provided by the GoPro, work fine, but we do not want to keep the files as the original names, because then there will be duplicates which may make relinking later a nightmare. Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Samantha Bode
on May 3, 2016 at 9:39:33 pm

I figured it out! Because we were naming the files like this: CAMERA_ORIGINALFILENAME_DATE_TIME, there would have been two sequences the programs would have been trying to reference, the original file name sequence, AND the time sequence. Therefore, it just wasn't recognizing any of it.

When I changed the file name to CAMERA_DATE_ORIGNALFILENAME, it worked because the only thing that differentiates between the files is the original file name.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 5, 2016 at 9:20:49 am

Ah, that makes sense. It is potentially dangerous to change file names for image sequences. I generally tell clients to drop them in a folder and change the folder name instead (or the metadata), but if it works, it works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]