FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image squeezing problems.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Harper
Image squeezing problems.
on May 2, 2016 at 4:09:54 pm

Hi all.

I've been working on a project which has been edited on AVID, sent to Resolve via .AAF for grading and brought back into AVID for the final export.
We followed the instructions on this page for help.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-avid-to-resolve-workflow/

Everything worked fine up till bringing the project back into AVID, where it appears that the image has been squeezed in the export from DaVinci.

Original Image

After importing via .AAF from DaVinci

It is definitely the .AAF from DaVinci that is causing the issue (the colourist said the image didn't appear squeezed when he imported the .AAF and I tried importing the .AAF I sent to him and it was fine as well). Anyone have any ideas on how to solve it?

The camera files are RAW 4K WS Red footage and the final export will be in 1080p, if that has any bearings on what might be causing the problem.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Image squeezing problems.
on May 3, 2016 at 4:33:53 am

What happens if you ignore sizing on the import?

In truth, I'm telling more and more clients to just finish within Resolve and not round-trip it back to Avid. I concede that not everybody is ready to do this, but it can work.

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on May 3, 2016 at 8:33:26 am

Apologies, which import are you referring to? The .AAF from DaVinci back into AVID?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 5, 2016 at 9:29:30 am

If it looks good inside Resolve, what if you ignore sizing in Avid after importing Resolve's AAF?

What if you just finished inside Resolve? The other alternative would be to just export a flattened textless file from Resolve and do whatever titling and finishing you needed in Avid. There are a few ways to get this to work. The key is to stop Avid from changing the image size on import (whether with the files or with the AAF).

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on May 5, 2016 at 10:28:19 am

That is what we decided to do eventually. We just exported a ProRes 4444 file from DaVinci and have AMA-Linked to that in AVID so we can add the subtitles and audio.

As for the resizing, I tried every option in the AAF/OMF section of the "Import" in Settings and the same thing occurred each time. I think the issue itself lies within the sequence or timeline, as when I select the individual clips in the AVID Bin that have been transcoded from DaVinci, it appears fine in the source window. It's only when put into the timeline that the squeezing occurs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]