Quadro m1000m or geforce 970?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Marty
Quadro m1000m or geforce 970?
on May 1, 2016 at 8:46:29 pm
Last Edited By Ricardo Marty on May 1, 2016 at 9:16:36 pm

I need some expert input.

I will upgrade my laptop to run resolve 12.5 plus cs6 and avid 6. But expecting to transition to resolve. And fusion if I get the hang of it.

My workflow is from light to medium. And medium heavy once a year. End to end

Mostly will be working in 1080 or 2k. titles cc and some light to medium compositing.

Want to use 4k for reframing.

I currently use dnx-hd in a qt wrapper ( dont know whats going to happen with this)
(will probably get a atomos shogun) Cameras fs700 and af100

They have basically the same specs but the hp has extra drive options and a quadro gpu but cost basicaly the same.

I am down to 2 options and the graphic cards are the deal breakers. Because I think that cuda will out perform open cl in performance and effects but having never used a quadro I dont realy know. Beside the fact that the cuda is on a gaming laptop

Options are

1- HP 17.3" ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11222368&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

2-ASUS 17.3" G752VL Gaming Notebook

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1183445-REG/asus_g752vt_dh72_i7_6700h...

Thanks

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Quadro m1000m or geforce 970?
on May 1, 2016 at 11:52:09 pm

NVIDIA are likely to announce a new Titan X card which more than doubles the power of the existing Titan X. For Resolve it will be the best card in my opinion. It also uses the same power as the existing Titan.

Important when dealing with 4k camera originals is the memory onboard the card. I have been advised that less than 8 gig of onboard ram will be a bottle neck with 4k footage, particularly as you are scaling to HD or 2k.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 2, 2016 at 12:00:27 am

The titan is far above what i need. Both systems are upgradable to 64 ddr4

Thank you

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 2, 2016 at 12:49:41 am

Memory on the GPU not the mobo. If you are originating on 4k then the GPU needs to be 8gig from what I have been told about buffering bigger frame sizes. Might be OK in practice but I have learned the hard way over the years that grunt can come unstuck with a simple bottle neck.

If either of those cards do that then fine if you are not doing heavy grading or using OFX plugins or compressed RAW codecs in Resolve because they all need more and more CUDA.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 2, 2016 at 1:24:46 am

Im not planning to use 4k raw. Would this make adifference

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 2, 2016 at 2:30:48 am

RAW or not CUDA performance should always be the best you can afford or need for high res RT performance. The question of GPU RAM is related to frame size so 4k anything requires 8gig of RAM on the GPU as far as my advice has been from tech people.

Happy to have others chime in with experience about this but I was warned not to get less than that for GPU RAM or performance will suffer.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 2, 2016 at 3:14:50 am

Both these laptops have thunderbolt 3. Wouldnt an external card help with the 4k?

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 2, 2016 at 8:03:28 am

Laptops are not ideal for Resolve. You need very powerful GPUs and CPUs to handle 4K material. You can do HD material to a point, but you'll often run into problems with intensive operations like noise reduction and OFX. Debayering R3D files is also rough.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 2, 2016 at 1:47:15 pm

Marc I understand your points. 4 k is not my prime motive for this i can use proxy. I am more interested in knowing if cuda offers better al around editing performance because of quadros lack of cuda.

Again thanks for your great experienced insight.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 3, 2016 at 12:32:02 am

Ricardo,

Most Nvidia Quadro cards support Cuda. What makes you think this one does not?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 3, 2016 at 5:09:47 pm

My error misread a review.

Main concern with m1000m is slower in performance compared to a gforce 970.

Quadro cards are more for higher end displays and cad type projects.

I need to choose between two laptops and each has a differnt card (geforce 970/ quadro m1000m}, the price and specs are similar. I want to run resolve 12.5 and higher.

If I choose a quadro can I run a gforce in conjunction with a thunderbot 3 chasiss? (when ever the come out)

thank you

Ricardo Marty

Im posting here because i want to run reolve 12.5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]