FORUMS: list search recent posts

reconform after scene cut detection

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Thy
reconform after scene cut detection
on Apr 29, 2016 at 11:04:44 am

Hi,
I'm working on a movie which I imported to Resolve using Scene Cut Detection.
I'm having some problems with a disk where original QT file is located and I need to copy it to other disk.
If I do that will I be able to reconform in Resolve? Does Resolve remember the cuts or should I export EDL or xml?
Tnx
Seth

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: reconform after scene cut detection
on Apr 29, 2016 at 4:02:12 pm

[Seth Thy] "Does Resolve remember the cuts"

If you need to change the source directory where the original full-length movie was situated, you might be able to re-link the reference to a cloned version of that file --in other software its an old trick for bringing forward a revision, so long as nothing else has changed. I haven't needed to try this in the software version of Resolve.

I'm not a fan of Scene Cut and haven't been since 1995. You still have to go in and manually check all the cuts and there is no provision for repairing bad decisions that the software has made once the import is complete. What might prevent this from working is that Resolve treats the scene detected events as separate clips (understandably to create some independence from the "Master"), but then you are ham-strung in the same way that there are no "handles" to create correction transforms between composited or effect transitions -- you're in keyframe mode which may or may not be okay.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Apr 29, 2016 at 7:38:53 pm

hi

you could use media manager, and then click advanced and relink!

that should do the trick.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 30, 2016 at 6:53:06 am

[Joseph Owens] "I'm not a fan of Scene Cut and haven't been since 1995. You still have to go in and manually check all the cuts and there is no provision for repairing bad decisions that the software has made once the import is complete. What might prevent this from working is that Resolve treats the scene detected events as separate clips (understandably to create some independence from the "Master"), but then you are ham-strung in the same way that there are no "handles" to create correction transforms between composited or effect transitions -- you're in keyframe mode which may or may not be okay."
There is a workaround where if you bring the split clips into a timeline, then export an XML of that timeline, then create a new timeline with that XML, I believe the cuts can be joined if there's a mistake. I agree that the whole split/join thing is a problem with auto-scene detect.

It would be nice if we had more controls (as with daVinci 2K) to change some of the scene-detect characteristics to make it more accurate and get tripped up less often. After all these years, it still has issues with fade-ins and fade-outs, creating about a dozen unnecessary events in those circumstances. I'd also like to be able to highlight (say) a :30-second clip on the timeline and have it just scene-detect that clip in place.

Auto-scene detect is kind of a brain-damaged function: you can't even save the Resolve session when it's open. Nutty.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 30, 2016 at 3:26:48 pm

Guys, go back and visit Scene Detection if you haven't tried it in a while, cuz it works a whole lot better now. Yes, it still can't handle fades and dissolves, as it does its job using contrast differences between frames, however it's very easy to move between the cuts it detects using keyboard commands N for Next, P for Previous, and - for deleting a bad cut the software had added, and + to add one in a spot it might have missed. And, you can now save and name the versions of scene detection you might do on any project so you can recall what you were doing at a later date should you need to for any reason, such as not finishing you fixes of fades and dissolves in a long-form timeline etc.

I was very resistant to using it myself, but had to recently, and I was very pleasantly surprised at well it now works since version 12.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 30, 2016 at 8:05:02 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "very pleasantly surprised"

That would be a good thing. However, having been so unpleasantly surprised for so long (22 years) of having to wade back in again anyway and hand fix or at least manually verify the scene-detect, I find that if I bring a "dummy" XML or EDL from the edit onto the timeline, that Next and Previous work extremely well with command-B and then I have total control. Mwahahhahhhaha.... so if I do have to work through a dissolve or other type of transition, I can situate a razor cut in the middle of it and then lay a cross dissolve on top of it. Works. Also verify the conform at the same time in case the creative editor has tried to slip something by me.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 1, 2016 at 12:52:34 am

Naaaa, I'm talking about auto-scene detect as I used it on TUESDAY. It's the same crap. I've done 40-50 films with it, and it's not changed.

The XML trick can work, but if you accidentally wind up with (say) 20 cuts in a single scene, it's irritating to get an error message when you try to join those cuts together. You can do it in some cases with an XML list, but not from a cut list if you've pasted all the clips to a timeline. That's the behavior we're talking about.

BTW, I also routinely cut clips in the Color page by using command-\, which is a useful shortcut when encountering scenes that need an edit. But the join command rarely works, and this issue has existed for awhile.

Return to posts index

Seth Thy
on May 4, 2016 at 3:26:50 pm

Hi guys,
I just reconformed the file in new location and everything is working just fine.
Tnx
Seth

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]