FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very basic question: How to keep 4k UHD at full scale in 1080 HD timeline

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Very basic question: How to keep 4k UHD at full scale in 1080 HD timeline
on Apr 28, 2016 at 12:37:30 am

Ok, first full day playing with Resolve 12.5 and this is the one thing I couldn't figure out.

Raw footage is 4k UHD ProRes.

Project and Timelines are 1080HD.

I want the 4k footage to come into the timeline without automatically scaling down to 1080.

What magic button or setting am I missing? Thanks!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Very basic question: How to keep 4k UHD at full scale in 1080 HD timeline
on Apr 28, 2016 at 4:06:17 am

The Timeline itself determines that resolution. You can create a 4K timeline, then monitor it at 1/4 or 1/2-res and downres it to a 1080 display for color correction, and that can work. If you have a system powerful enough to playback at 4K in real time to a 4K display, then that works, too, provided you have a BMD 4K monitor adapter.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 28, 2016 at 4:24:15 am

[Marc Wielage] "The Timeline itself determines that resolution. You can create a 4K timeline, then monitor it at 1/4 or 1/2-res and downres it to a 1080 display for color correction, and that can work. If you have a system powerful enough to playback at 4K in real time to a 4K display, then that works, too, provided you have a BMD 4K monitor adapter."

Thanks, but not the question I was asking. I'm editing in a 1080HD timeline with 4k footage. I wanted Resolve to stop automatically scaling my video down to 1080 frame size.

I got the answer from Blackmagic on Twitter. Had to change my Image Scaling to Crop and Center instead of Scale to Timeline.

My system edits and plays back 4k RAW so playback of 4k isn't the problem, it was just getting Resolve to stop scaling the 4k automatically. But thanks for trying!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Apr 28, 2016 at 9:08:07 am

Walter, the crop and centre of course discards 75% of your original 4K UHD material. Are your deliverables going to remain 1080p?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 28, 2016 at 12:38:42 pm

[Rick Lang] "Walter, the crop and centre of course discards 75% of your original 4K UHD material. Are your deliverables going to remain 1080p?"

It doesn't discard it, it just leaves the image at 100% scale so then I can manually crop and position the image as I want. Yes, the deliverables are 1080p. I've been cutting / delivering 4k UHD materials almost 3 years now. When we output to 1080p sometimes we want to rescale and re-position the images. I've been doing all my editing in Premiere Pro so it's a snap for me to do this in there. I just couldn't find the magic button on Resolve to stop auto-scaling. Got it now. Thanks!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Apr 28, 2016 at 12:43:49 pm

Thanks, Walter, for correcting my misunderstanding of that option. I’ll certainly want to do the same thing at some point and thanks to you, now I know how. Just getting back to Resolve (12.5 beta) after years of being away from it.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 5K Retina 4GHz 32GB/4GB, URSA Mini 4.6K PL, Pegasus2 R6 24TB

Return to posts index

sean pollaro
on Jul 31, 2016 at 6:27:06 pm

just so its documented. In the inspector tab you can do this on a clip by clip basis by going to inspector/retime and scaling then clicking the "scaling" dropdown menu and selecting "crop".. there's probably a way to assign it to a hotkey for expediency. to have it happen globally for every clip, go to project settings and under image scaling/input scaling preset select "center crop with no resizing"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]