FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for relinking proxys to source material

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Hahn
Workflow for relinking proxys to source material
on Apr 27, 2016 at 8:39:27 pm

Hi everybody,
I hope this is not too much of a stupid question, either way, I'd appreciate your help very much.

I have a folder with DPX files that contains a clip of a 4K scan of b/w 35mm material.
What I want to do is this:
Import the DPX into Resolve, then export as an "offline" ProRes LT for editing in Premiere. Then, I'd like to somehow get these cuts back into Resolve to grade the clips and have the final export.
I thought I'd just export an AAF, then import the AAF in Resolve and then relink the ProRes LT clip to the source material (in my case the DPX folder).
Unfortunately, this does not work - nothing happens when I click on "Relink Selected Clips..." and chose the DPX folder.

Is there any other way how to do this?
Thanks! Philip

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Workflow for relinking proxys to source material
on Apr 27, 2016 at 9:08:25 pm

[Philip Hahn] "Is there any other way how to do this?"

Force conform? Copy grades?
jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Philip Hahn
on Apr 27, 2016 at 9:50:06 pm

With force conform I am able to relink the proxy to the source DPXs, but the cuts are gone (they are there, but every edited clip starts from 0).
Not sure what you mean by copy grades, how would that help?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:34:02 pm

It would be an option if you had built a new project with the source media -- but I don't think you've started grading anything yet, so never mind. It would be a way to get established grades from a proxy timeline into a reconformed source media project.

jPo

[Philip Hahn] "Not sure what you mean by copy grades, how would that help?"

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 28, 2016 at 4:04:01 am

Is timecode embedded in the DPX files? If it is, then it should be possible to rebuild the cuts.

Color would have to go through ColorTrace, and it would only be approximate if you color-correct with anything but the DPX files. How long is this clip? Some of this could be done manually without a lot of trouble. DPX is fairly system intensive, and I usually tell clients to go with something a little less demanding, like ProRes 444 or 444HQ.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 28, 2016 at 2:22:58 pm

[Marc Wielage] "DPX is fairly system intensive, and I usually tell clients to go with something a little less demanding, like ProRes 444 or 444HQ.
"

This has always been on my mind.
Do you feel DPX is more of a end of finishing format?
The only time Ive ever used it to date is to get my files into my REDPLAYER for 4K viewing.
Eventually I will need to use DPX for final but when is it best in your opinion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]