FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 12 to Avid 8.5 roundtrip not full duration

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Spicer
Resolve 12 to Avid 8.5 roundtrip not full duration
on Apr 27, 2016 at 2:40:56 am

Hello,
I have just graded 58 minutes worth of television. When finished and using the Avid round trip setting via the delivery page with 50 frame handles transcoding the individual clips to DNx 220 MXF files.
After sorting the MXF's into Avid MediaFiles folder structure and importing the database file into avid and checking the individual media I imported the AAF.

My problem is that the AAF is only 00:28:13:15 in duration. The timeline in Resolve is 58 minutes long. This has happened twice and I have no idea why.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Resolve 12 to Avid 8.5 roundtrip not full duration
on Apr 27, 2016 at 3:08:13 pm

Not a lot of information to go on... could this be a difference in interpretation between 25p and 50i?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 27, 2016 at 6:43:41 pm

Does sound like a frame rate interpretation issue...almost exactly half the length?

Another possibility...

how did you sequence get into resolve?

Did it start in Avid? Was the length changed in Resolve after the original list came in? Round trip sequences can't change during the process. (If you tweak the edit in resolve, Avid will still revert back to the original edit that it sent out)

Glenn

Return to posts index

James Spicer
on Apr 27, 2016 at 8:49:07 pm

Just to clarify it is not exactly half of the full duration.

Although the sequence was confirmed in Avid and moved across via AAF. Slight changes were made to the edit. I had no idea that this would effect the round trip process. So it is likely that the new AAF when imported into Avid only contains a duration up until a change was made?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 27, 2016 at 9:03:24 pm

[James Spicer] "So it is likely that the new AAF when imported into Avid only contains a duration up until a change was made?"

That would be a new behaviour -- so, not likely. It did used to happen in Silicon Color Final Touch with XMLs that were unwarily revised.

It would be equally weird that an I/O endpoint selection was at fault. The AAF that was exported out of Resolve -- was it a "roundtrip" export or a "Generate new..." operation?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

James Spicer
on Apr 27, 2016 at 9:05:52 pm

It was a Roundtrip AAF export.

Since posting the original message I now also have a new issue where the new AAF wants to read the old raw media instead of the newly created graded MXF files.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:03:59 pm

If you change the edit in Resolve from an Avid AAF, the round tripped version that goes back to Avid will simply show you the same sequence (timing, shot order etc) that you spit out...except these clips will be coloured as you did in Resolve. It doesn't "breaK" at the point you made a change...it simply returns what it received from a timing standpoint.

If you want to try to export a new AAF, (right click on the timeline and export new aaf) i believe this is designed to accomodate these changes, but i'm not sure that works properly yet either...as of 12.2 or what ever i'm on.

I basically avoid online changes in Resolve at all costs. If there is a change, i try to jump to Avid, make the change and spit out a new list.

Glenn

Return to posts index

James Spicer
on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:10:48 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to assist with this Glenn.

At first the only issue was that the AAF was bringing in the new MXF media up until a certain clip. With more and more AAFs being created trying different methods, a new issue emerged that Resolve creates new media for the whole episode but the AAF wants to link to original raw files. I have been in contact with 2 Blackmagic support offices and they are investigating further.

At this point we are losing a lot of valuable time and I think we may have to do the further online editing in Resolve. It is becoming too problematic trying to get the sequence back to Avid.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:27:19 pm

Are you saying at the end of the round trip, avid is connecting to the original media instead of the colored shots out of Resolve?

Glenn

Return to posts index

James Spicer
on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:38:57 pm

Yes. Resolve is making new media but the AAF created inconjunction with this wants to read original media.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:51:00 pm

Put all your new media from resolve in a new folder in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF area called something like 888. Launch Avid and let it construct a database for this media...it will create an MDB file in the 888 folder.

In Avid make a bin called Color from Resolve
While Avid is open, open an explorer or Finder window, and drag the MDB file from 888 to the bin called color from Resolve.

This will populate Avid with the colored media. Select all these clips
Duplicate your sequence, and right click on the new one, and tell avid to Relink
Select the option to use all selected clips in open bins.

From here you might need to experiment with settings, but i usually tell avid to use the Tape name and Source File name tab, ignore extensions, and uncheck the match uppercase/lower case option. Give Avid the widest range to check.

I don't tell it to make a new sequence...cause i just duplicated the sequence.

Give that a go. (I do this workflow about 3 times a week)

Once your sequence is relinked, you can rename 888 to something you understand, like "Project Name_color from Resolve"

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]