FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolves 12 Renders have no grades

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Belleci
Resolves 12 Renders have no grades
on Apr 24, 2016 at 3:44:52 pm

Hey guys I got a very annoying problem with the new resolves 12, the rendered files did not have any grades on it,it renders the RAW BMD film footages out.
I checked that I selected the lut as an out put lus and I also have linear to DCI 1D input lut selected too
I recorded it in proress 2.5k on my BMCC and I only import the footages into resolve only for test grade, isn't not an premiere round trip
The color space for the timeline is set to BMD film
Do anybody know whats happening??
thank you !!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Resolves 12 Renders have no grades
on Apr 25, 2016 at 1:27:22 am

Check to see if the "Render Flat Pass" checkbox is on in the Deliver page.

Return to posts index

Jason Belleci
on Apr 25, 2016 at 5:41:58 pm

Is the one that you right click on the thumbnails and "enable flat pass", i did tick that box though. Actually the thumbnails shown in the delivery tab and color tab are all ungraded but the previews windows shown graded picture to me..

Return to posts index

Jason Belleci
on Apr 25, 2016 at 5:45:04 pm

and even the stills weren't graded, what's happening??

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 26, 2016 at 1:23:57 am

Uncheck Flat Pass and try again.

Return to posts index

Jason Belleci
on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:50:49 am

I grades aren't there still, I tried a few times... any ideas
heres a screen cap of the delivery page

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 26, 2016 at 8:56:40 am

Unless all the grades are bypassed within the session itself, I have no idea. You may want to send the session to BMD Support and see what they say.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 27, 2016 at 6:49:34 pm

all your grading is done through luts?

What happens if you throw a green color correction wash on a clip...does that make it through the render?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jason Belleci
on Apr 27, 2016 at 7:11:25 pm

I just found the problem, it was because of the output color space that I have set on the color management setting page, it turned out that when I set the input color space to BMD Film, it worked fine, all the renders got grades on it. Whats happening actually? I'm a bit confused..

Actually, I was grading some proress files from BMCC, I actually really don't know the best color grading workflow for BMCC footage, I just throw in the 3D input lut which is Linear to DCI and then add another output out which is a Kodak 2383 lut downloaded from Juan Melara but actually I think this method made the footage lost a lot of information.

Are there any better ways??

thank you

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 27, 2016 at 9:07:11 pm

[Jason Belleci] " it was because of the output color space that I have set on the color management setting page,"

so are you saying that you thought you were getting a grade adjustment but that you were using a display LUT... that only affected the monitor rendition but was not being applied to the footage?

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jason Belleci
on Apr 27, 2016 at 9:24:45 pm

No, I did set the lut as an output lut and i dun get any graded renders. Later on i found out that after I changed the color science settings from davinci YRGB to dacinci YRBG color managed so that I could change the input and output color space settings in the color management tab.
after this at least I could get graded renders.

However the weird thing was i could get graded renders when I set the output color space to rec.709 and others couldn't..

But still I need some advice for grading with luts because the footages are Proress and in BMD film color space and when i used the kodak 2383 luts form Juan Melara but it looks so contrasty and losing all the shadows, it was totally different form others who using this to grade their footages.

Any suggestions or advice?
thanks !!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:28:51 pm

[Jason Belleci] "the footages are Proress and in BMD film color space and when i used the kodak 2383 luts form Juan Melara but it looks so contrasty and losing all the shadows,"

ProRes (422) is a codec that operates in 709 Linear colorspace with a black-to-white range of 64-930 (10-bit). If you use a LUT that assumes the input range is RGB Full Scale 0-1023, you might see a difference like this.

Dan Moran has a suggestion for LUT workflow new to Resolve 12.5, which involves using an OFX plugin to host a LUT. To my mind this is a lot more flexible and may go some way toward preserving the inherent dynamic range of a clip no matter what its original format was.

http://mixinglight.com/portfolio/resolve-12-5-dans-favorite-new-features/

Specifically he addresses this at around the 4:00 minute mark, but he also illustrates some of the newer simplified color temperature and tint controls, for those of you who undertake grading from a Photo-shop model.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]