FORUMS: list search recent posts

Master Gain?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Johnston
Master Gain?
on Apr 10, 2016 at 2:48:09 pm

Ok boys and girls,

Is there a "Master Gain" control for adjusting the Output Gain of the Master "Node(?)"?

In other words, can I animate the gain on all nodes at the same time?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Master Gain?
on Apr 10, 2016 at 3:52:34 pm

Are you saying you want to add some gain to your entire timeline after you've gone through and colored everything, or you want to add gain to a single shot, after you've already added (for example) 4 different nodes to accomplish your look?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 12, 2016 at 12:51:42 am

[Geoff Johnston] "Is there a "Master Gain" control for adjusting the Output Gain of the Master "Node(?)"? In other words, can I animate the gain on all nodes at the same time?"
You could if you add a 5th serial node at the end of the tree just for keyframing gain. Or do it as a Timeline grade.

Is this a trick question?

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Apr 12, 2016 at 12:46:00 pm

On the EDIT page, beneath the audio channels, there is a MASTER audio channel.

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on May 6, 2016 at 11:10:04 am

I'll go in to more detail, since there was a huge lack of it in my first post, so I don't blame anyone for not getting the question ;)

What I mean by "Master Node" is the keyframe section called "Master" right above the first node in the "Keyframes" tab.

And what I mean by "Gain" is the "Key Output Gain" under the "Key" tab.

So what I am asking is, can I adjust the Key Output Gain on all my nodes at the same time (by adjusting the Master "Node"(?)), and can I animate it as a separate node?

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on May 6, 2016 at 11:29:15 am

Oh wait, I just realized that putting a keyframe in the "Master" also creates keyframes for all the other nodes in the exact same spot. So this is a huge discovery for me, and answers the first part of my question.

However, the second part of my question still stands. Can I adjust the Output gain for all my nodes at the same time without having to do each one separately?

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on May 29, 2016 at 1:12:05 pm

Does anyone have an answer to this?

I'm currently doing a project with a huge amount of nodes, and it's a traumatizing experience having to change the output gain on every single node separately. It seems like I shouldn't need to do this, given how advanced this program is.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 30, 2016 at 12:54:00 am

[Geoff Johnston] "Does anyone have an answer to this? I'm currently doing a project with a huge amount of nodes, and it's a traumatizing experience having to change the output gain on every single node separately. It seems like I shouldn't need to do this, given how advanced this program is."
If I understand your question, the answer is no -- you have to adjust the output gain on every single node separately. Me personally, I just look at the end result and then make an adjustment if necessary. Not every node is a key; not every node needs a key gain adjustment. There's also Primaries, Secondaries, Log adjustments, Contrast, Curves... there's a lot going on here. It's a huge subject.

Just as with slowing down a car, there's probably 5 or 6 ways to do it, but generally using the brake works well for me.

Return to posts index

Karsten Fischer
on May 30, 2016 at 7:54:47 am

Maybe I misunderstood, but wouldn't a timeline node be sufficient for what you need?
Just switch in the top right corner from clip

to timeline

Or nest your timeline into another timeline so it will be treated as a clip which you can apply clip grades to.

------

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 31, 2016 at 4:35:41 am

I think we are all a bit unsure why you feel you should adjust the key output gain on every node in your project...unless you are doing a ton of compositing, which still don't think is Resolves strong point.

Perhaps a couple of before/afters, with a shot of your nodes might get someone thinking of an easier solution, or a better understanding of your problem.

I think, generally, we are all along the lines of Karsten...just do one final adjustment node, if its consistant across the board, you could save it as a still, and do an append node to all your other nodes, or as a timeline node as just mentioned.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]