FORUMS: list search recent posts

Could anyone try these stills (.dpx) and see If they work?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Roes
Could anyone try these stills (.dpx) and see If they work?
on Apr 7, 2016 at 12:29:27 am

Hi guys, new here, been lurking since 2012

I had a problem with Resolve on my system and my project
To make it worse, I was on the last stage of the grading process for a film that's been on post for about two years, lots of work done
The project became somehow unopenable, it crashed Resolve at the project manager
Luckily I managed to backup the disk database xmls files, so with a little bit of xml editing I managed to open the project, by removing the media pool elements and the timelines

This way I'd could open the project and back up the stills as dpx files

The thing is, now when I apply them, Resolve crashes

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3hjuWRTPZXmQkRWamRnVE9iMk0&usp=sha...

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Could anyone try these stills (.dpx) and see If they work?
on Apr 7, 2016 at 3:37:40 pm

By themselves, the .dpx files seem to simply be images, and I think its the .drx files that may contain the grade, but I am not inside the application at that level. I was hoping to find a path through a still import if I could find the Library folder where grade/reference stills normally reside. In a normal system, these files are also described as XML entities. You can drill down to them in your system browser. If you are sort of able to restore the stills in an operating project, I might try to export a .drp -- in this case, the missing link that leaves the export and .drx reference "empty" might be the broken offline media link.

Nasty little surprise.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 7, 2016 at 3:45:13 pm

PS, I cannot open the ".dpx" files with any application -- Even *Switch* can't find a picture.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Lucas Roes
on Apr 9, 2016 at 5:30:20 pm
Last Edited By Lucas Roes on Apr 9, 2016 at 5:29:26 pm

Hey Joseph, you mean the .Gallery folder? I will try to upload it

Thanks Marc, I would definely not make the same mistake again, if I can't solve this problem I think in the future I'm gonna do a dpx/dpr backup, a project backup and a database backup; just in case
I was going to export the graded footage, but I thought, maybe I should wait a little longer till I finish the other shots, such bad luck

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 8, 2016 at 7:52:45 am

It sounds to me like a particularly nasty corruption within the project. I had a Resolve 9 project go south on me a few years ago, but in that case I was able to export all the stills and those actually worked. The node trees themselves would crash, and ColorTrace would crash if I tried to copy across more than about 10 shots at a time. Eventually, I just retimed the project from stills using the embedded corrections, and I think it took me about half a day. This problem went away with Resolve 10 and later.

My only advice is that when you're working on a project, be sure to export a copy of the DRP every day just in the event something crashes. I have not had to use any of these backup sessions in 3 years, but crap can happen, particularly if it occurs on an operating system level (like a bad drive).

The other advice I would have is to contact Blackmagic Support and see if they can look at the file and salvage anything there. What version of Resolve is this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]