FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick Simple White Balance Method

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Quick Simple White Balance Method
on Apr 5, 2016 at 4:30:02 pm

I am very new to DaVinci. I have version 12.

Is there a quick method on how to white balance the picture that is part of a video below? If so, How?

Is there an auto White Balance feature in DaVinci?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Quick Simple White Balance Method
on Apr 5, 2016 at 8:22:48 pm

There is an AWB in Resolve. We don't talk about it much.

If you were using the application with the Resolve control surface, there is a cursor-directed workflow that gives the software a clue as to what you want to equalize, but otherwise "AutoGrade" which is explored in the manual... Chapter 25 Automated Grading Commands... looks at the highs and lows and makes them equal RGB.

Looking at your sample frame, you will probably get something very blue/cyan, because it looks like there is something incandescent warm splashing from the bottom of the screen while Lady Liberty looks fairly R=G=B nearly black.

In which case, you will be in the same boat as the rest of us scrubbing out the rings and balls until it looks okay. Learn how to use the scopes. Go ahead and do an [Option-A] and see what happens, maybe work from there.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: Quick Simple White Balance Method
on Apr 5, 2016 at 8:53:24 pm

Here's a method that used to work very well before BMD changed the format of the "Curves". It still works with v12, however the scale makes it a little harder to see.
First, using the eyedropper tool, click on any part of your image that neutral in color....black, grey, or non-blown out white. Some small circle targets will appear on the gamma line in the curves window. In a perfectly balanced image, these circles will fall perfectly on top of each other.
Next, alternately click on the R, then B, then G buttons. Make sure the "link" button is disabled.
Noting the relative position of the R,G and B target circles, move each one in the vertical direction so that they all fall on the same horizontal line. B as careful as you can not to move the targets horizontally.
Doing this for middle gray is a good starting point. Repeat, as necessary for the shadows and the hilites. You'll end up with custom R, G, and B gamma curves.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]