FORUMS: list search recent posts

cinegamma gamma shift between VLC & Quicktime

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Di Lin
cinegamma gamma shift between VLC & Quicktime
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:10:26 am

This has always bothered me and I wonder any of you could help me out here.

Whenever I export my clip (shot with cinegamma) from davinci or PP, there is always a color different when play on different player. Quicktime is more washout where as VLC will be the color I see in davinci. Also vimeo video play on chrome appears more red magenta whereas safari is more blue. I have seen a fix saying the problem lies on the video card (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1063696?start=0) But this only solves the issue in PC. I still haven’t found a way to fix this problem in mac. Any idea?

I tested with slog3 and used ACES color space under davinci. Everything works beautiful. There is no shift between quicktime, VLC and the uploads to Vimeo, youtube look identical between safari and chrome.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: cinegamma gamma shift between VLC & Quicktime
on Apr 5, 2016 at 6:55:03 am

It's also going to look different under different browsers, different on tablets vs. phones vs. PCs vs. Macs, different in Vimeo vs. YouTube, different compression rates, different color spaces... there are many variables on the net. At some point, you have to let it go.

The problem is trying to judge non-color-managed images on the Wild West that is the internet. I would just go for a reasonable look that translates to Rec709 and sRGB and just live with it.

Note that gamma space also changes, in addition to colorimetry. It doesn't help to make your judgements on non-calibrated monitors.

Return to posts index

Di Lin
Re: cinegamma gamma shift between VLC & Quicktime
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:20:22 pm

Thanks Marc! I use a 5k iMac and I caliberate it every other month. I still work as a photo retoucher and self teach myself into DaVinci. I use a xrite i1 calibrator and my monitor is calibrated to sRGB now since all of my work resides on the net. I have been living with the color shift reality for a little while. But I was working slog3 with ACES in DaVinci and the color just look consistent all of the sudden. Not sure if you or others have the same experience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]