FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Translation Errors Causing Footage Degradation in Resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Donaldson
FCP Translation Errors Causing Footage Degradation in Resolve?
on Mar 29, 2016 at 2:17:14 pm

I am exporting an XML from Premiere, and getting a FCP Translation Results Report.

When I open the XML in Resolve, I notice the footage looks bad. The blacks are crushed and so on.

The FCP report looks like:

Translation issue:
Effect RED Source Settings on Clip A187_C047_0315W0_001.R3D not translated.

This shows for pretty much all of my clips.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: FCP Translation Errors Causing Footage Degradation in Resolve?
on Mar 29, 2016 at 2:50:04 pm

[Jeremy Donaldson] " I notice the footage looks bad. The blacks are crushed and so on. "

If Resolve is linking to the original R3dcode source file, I fail to understand how the footage is being "degraded."

If the "blacks are crushed and so on", then it is most likely a case that the RGB full range is being mis-mapped between 0-100 IRE. It is a common ambiguity. Click on the media file properties and choose the correct option (away from "auto") to see if that has an effect.

As far as the source settings being ignored, that may be one reason. Because Premiere is pre-conditioning the media prior to being handed to its timeline, this may also become an issue on the round trip, where the same assumption will be made about the RGB/Linear range setting. I would test this with a couple of sample clips before I surrender the timeline to a couple of hours of anguish and heartbreak.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]