FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you Relink to high res material after coming from Premiere; dailies made in Resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
How do you Relink to high res material after coming from Premiere; dailies made in Resolve?
on Mar 26, 2016 at 12:50:50 pm

I followed these three tutorials, which overlap in some way, but when I Import the XML into Resolve, the original camera masters do not relink. What am I missing?

https://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/04/film-education-blackmagic-camer...

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/working-with-arriraw-creating-offline-proxi...

In short, I made low res dailies in Resolve. Imported the proxy dailies to Premiere, edited, and output an XML. I Imported that XML back into Resolve. The timeline and clips link up to the low res proxies, but the tutorials above assume that the XML links to the camera raw. My clips are still linked to the proxy.

How do I relink the proxy master clips to the original camera raw?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: How do you Relink to high res material after coming from Premiere; dailies made in Resolve?
on Mar 26, 2016 at 3:54:01 pm

Rather than watch the tutorials you have watched, i'll ask a question or two.

Have you imported your original media into Resolve, or are you trying to get Resolve to find it on its own?

When you import your xml, did you tell resolve to automatically bring in the media?

I typically bring in the media before I import the xml (for me an aaf)

Then import the aaf and deslect the box to automatically import media.

Resolve will then ask you where the media is, and you can point it to the bin where you just imported your raw clips.

If this doesn't work, it might point to an issue with the original dailies not having proper reel information attached.

When you bring in your xml, do the clips show a proper reel id that they are looking for?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
Re: How do you Relink to high res material after coming from Premiere; dailies made in Resolve?
on Mar 27, 2016 at 5:45:59 pm

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm new to Resolve, obviously.

I didn't realize that deselecting "automatically import media" would aid the relink. I did that and it worked. But that only seems to work when the XML is Imported into the same project that had the original transcodes - meaning the project that contains the original camera masters Imported to Resolve and the timelines used to export the clips to proxies. Is that the only way Resolve works?

Have you imported your original media into Resolve, or are you trying to get Resolve to find it on its own? I typically bring in the media before I import the xml (for me an aaf).

I just tried this - Importing the media into Resolve and then Importing the XML. It worked. Is the way it should be done if dailies were made from multiple projects?

Then import the aaf and deslect the box to automatically import media.

Resolve will then ask you where the media is, and you can point it to the bin where you just imported your raw clips.

If this doesn't work, it might point to an issue with the original dailies not having proper reel information attached.

Resolve never prompted me about finding any clips. How could I make Resolve do this if I had to manually reconnect master clips/timelines to the camera raw?

When you bring in your xml, do the clips show a proper reel id that they are looking for?

I haven't seen anything anywhere about a "reel id" in any of my tests. Where can I find this and edit the information?

Thanks kindly.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 29, 2016 at 2:28:03 pm

Now that I re read my post, I may have mis typed.

If you bring the media in first, Resolve might not ask where the media is. But at any time, you can right click on a sequence and (depending on the version you are running) relink the sequence to selected bins. At this point Resolve will ask which bin you want to use. The location of this feature has moved around a bit, as version change. I think in 12.* it is under the timelines submenu during a right click.

[Rosie Walunas] "I just tried this - Importing the media into Resolve and then Importing the XML. It worked. Is the way it should be done if dailies were made from multiple projects?"

This is the way I do it.

If you don't bring any media in, and you deselect "automatically import media" Resolve should then ask you to tell it where the media is. From here you can point it to a drive on your system. I find it just as easy to load the media first. Then if a clip is still offline, I'm halfway through the troubleshooting process. (if the clip isn't with everything else...where is it?)

[Rosie Walunas] "I haven't seen anything anywhere about a "reel id" in any of my tests. Where can I find this and edit the information?"

look at the clips that were created when you brought In your first version. The one that linked to the offline transcodes. Scroll through your media page and see what information has been tagged to the clips. This will show you the reel id/tape name that was assigned to those clips where they were originally created.

They should match (based on your project preferences) the reel/tape id that is assigned when you bring in your raw clips. If there is no tape id on the initial transcodes, but there is on the raw clips, or neither has a tape id, your project might not be set up correctly.

When doing transcoded in Resolve, always check that your initial media load has assigned proper tape/reel ids.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Mar 29, 2016 at 11:50:06 pm

Great. Thank you for such good clarification.

The only thing is that when I imported the XML it didn't prompt me about which clips unless I already had the originals in the project, in which case it just relinked. Without the originals it just linked up to the low res proxies.

Oh well.

Thanks again for such great info.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 30, 2016 at 7:04:31 pm

Are the low res proxies already in the project when you bring in the XML? If there is no footage in the project, and you deselect the "automatically import media" I would expect it to ask you where the media is. - As I said, I use aafs, but I would think the response is the same.

If the low res is already in the project, then you would have to bring in the high res as well, import the xml, and then re-conform the timeline (right click etc) and point it to your high res footage.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]