FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need tips for syncing.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Need tips for syncing.
on Mar 15, 2016 at 4:15:09 pm

Folks, I need some tips for syncing content. I am actually an FCP X user and love it's syncing capabilities and the way it manages the synced files. However FCP X does not do batch syncing yet.

Not satisfied with PluralEyes or WooWave DreamSync I've been trying to use DaVinci to handle the syncing and export that XML to FCP X.

DaVinci is unable to do audio waveform syncing on all of my video and audio, yet I know it syncs because FCP X has not problems syncing the clips; albeit I have to select the matching clips first.

I add all of my media to the media pool.
Select all
Automatically sync using waveform and append.

The results come back with a lot (almost all) of my audio, not being able to bey synced. Though FCP X syncs it without issue.

Any thoughts? Is there something I am doing wrong?

Tangier

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Need tips for syncing.
on Mar 17, 2016 at 6:04:03 am

This is a good reason why having identical timecode on sound and picture is a good idea. When you do this, it will sync automatically, and very quickly. Timecode is an important and necessary part of the process.

Without it, my advice is that if something like Plural Eyes doesn't work, then hire an assistant editor to just sit down and do it the old fashioned way. A halfway experienced assistant can do 1 shot in less than a minute; good ones might do it in half the time. If you have 200 shots a day (which is a lot of material), that's roughly 3 hours of work, which is not the end of the world. Do that, and learn from the experience to always jam timecode on all cameras and sound recorders. In the cases where timecode is not available, live with the consequences and budget additional time.

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Mar 17, 2016 at 8:43:55 am

Maybe with not all files in one time? How many shots? Try a subset first.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 18, 2016 at 2:00:42 am

That actually might work. It'd be interesting to try syncing just one file at a time and see if that works better than selecting a whole bunch of video files and a different bunch of sound files.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 19, 2016 at 7:39:57 pm

Would sync and link x help?
I know its $200 USD but Im curious.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Mar 19, 2016 at 11:38:35 pm

Thanks for the input folks and I'll try lightening the clip load in DaVinci. The reason why I moved to trying DaVinci was because of my experience syncing in general. I suggest taking a look at my post at the link below which has some test details too that I did.

It includes Premiere Pro and Plural Eyes among others for syncing. Definitely think it's worth a read (or browse).

http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/24392-to-fcp-x-or-to-plurale...

Tangier

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jun 6, 2016 at 6:38:18 pm

Just finished testing PluralEyes 4. I was really hoping it would do some of the things I'd want like individual clips without stripping that original audio.

Here's the short of it (confirmed with a phone call to RedGiant Support)

-Multicam option gives one long multicam sequence (storyline) of all events rather than individual multicam clips
-Replaced audio limits picture to length of synced audio (may want the video after that)
-Only way to get individual synced clips is using the replace audio feature which creates clips as compound clips rather than FCP X synchronized clips.
-Confirmed with phone call. PluralEyes 4 can only return synchronized individual clips if you choose the replace audio feature.

As stated before. I like that FCP X keeps the main audio with it as sometimes I actually do need it (for certain types of shots). Additionally I like having the video past the synced portion of audio as is not the case with PluralEyes generated individual clips.

I am starting to wonder if the architecture of FCP X puts limits on 3rd party apps being able to create clips for FCP X as though FCP X created them; perhaps it's a limitation of the XML. I am not sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]